Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello all. My name is Larry and I just bought my first G & L, a 2007 ASAT. It joins my modest collection of guitars, including a 2006 Fender American Deluxe Strat, A 2009 Taylor T3, a 1996 Gibson Nighthawk, a 2005 Rickenbacker 360, an Alvarez MD350 acoustic electric, a 1978 Ibanez Musician MC200 and a few more.

I bought this ASAT on eBay where it was listed as an ASAT Special. It is the semi-hollowbody model in Cherryburst over a flamed top with the MFD pickups. I received the guitar yesterday and it is simply beautiful. Upon inspection I noticed that the headstock says it is an ASAT Classic. I'm confused. I can only assume that the neck has been changed. The seller assured me that the body is American made. Is there a way to determine where the body was made? I want to get opinions from you guys on here before I confront the seller . Thanks in advance for your help. Larry

Re: New Member

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:27 pm

GUITARDOC wrote:Hello all. My name is Larry and I just bought my first G & L, a 2007 ASAT. It joins my modest collection of guitars, including a 2006 Fender American Deluxe Strat, A 2009 Taylor T3, a 1996 Gibson Nighthawk, a 2005 Rickenbacker 360, an Alvarez MD350 acoustic electric, a 1978 Ibanez Musician MC200 and a few more.

I bought this ASAT on eBay where it was listed as an ASAT Special. It is the semi-hollowbody model in Cherryburst over a flamed top with the MFD pickups. I received the guitar yesterday and it is simply beautiful. Upon inspection I noticed that the headstock says it is an ASAT Classic. I'm confused. I can only assume that the neck has been changed. The seller assured me that the body is American made. Is there a way to determine where the body was made? I want to get opinions from you guys on here before I confront the seller . Thanks in advance for your help. Larry

Please post some pictures (front and back) so that we may see it.
Based upon your description, the body finish indicates that it is a Fullerton, CA body.
Cherryburst is a USA only color. A previous owner swapped out the neck for sure.
What is the serial number on the back of the neck?
As long as the neck fits snug in the neck pocket, it should be fine. However, the seller
should have disclosed this information in the auction.

Hope this helps.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:53 pm

GUITARDOC wrote:[...] I bought this ASAT on eBay where it was listed as an ASAT Special. It is the semi-hollowbody model in Cherryburst over a flamed top with the MFD pickups. [...] Upon inspection I noticed that the headstock says it is an ASAT Classic. [...] The seller assured me that the body is American made. Is there a way to determine where the body was made? [...]

ASAT Special Semi-Hollow and ASAT Classic Semi-Hollow are available as USA models and as Tribute series models (made in Indonesia). As long as the headstock does not indicate "Tribute", it should be an USA model.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I don't have time to do pics right now but the serial # is CLF47579. In the neck pocket is a hand written T/B and the date May 09, 2007.

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:41 pm

GUITARDOC wrote:I don't have time to do pics right now but the serial # is CLF47579. In the neck pocket is a hand written T/B and the date May 09, 2007.

That serial number format means the neck is also USA made and probably built in 2007 or 2008.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 am

Is this the Ebay listing ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-ASAT-Special-Se ... 1e6241785e

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Yes. That is the guitar that I bought. Did I pay too much? It is just like new.

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Beautiful guitar. If you are enjoying it, it's worth every penny. Welcome! - ed

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:51 pm

GUITARDOC wrote:Yes. That is the guitar that I bought. Did I pay too much? It is just like new.

Not at all. If it's like new then you saved a fair chunk of change. Sounds like a beauty.

Welcome!

Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:54 pm

GUITARDOC wrote:Yes. That is the guitar that I bought. Did I pay too much? It is just like new.

Hmm, I wonder if the seller did a neck swap with his ASAT Classic S?
I also agree with Ed (aka zapcosongs).

Welcome :greet: