New G&L Legacy Owner From Jax, FL Area

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey All! Just wanted to introduce myself and to say thanks for all the great info that is posted on this forum. I've been lurking around here for a couple of years now off & on. :shifty: As a matter of fact, it was because of you all that I finally made the plunge for a new 2010 USA G&L Legacy. :banana: It's of the standard variety, no options, in the standard Vintage White color. But I plan to make a few minor changes later on. Locking tuners, different color pic-guard maybe. Sorry guys no pictures yet, because I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me from Wolfe Guitars down Jupiter, FL way. They are a great bunch of people down there. Great service & great price. :D I promise to post some pics as soon as I get that baby in my hands.

Anyhow, because I am a newby to the G&L crowd, I have a couple of questions for Craig or whoever else may be able to help me. My first question is about the pups? I really like the sound of those mfd's on the S-500, and I was wondering if they would fit in the legacy without clr problems because the mfd's are taller. Is the 500 routed deeper in the pup pockets? And my other question is specificly for Craig and about his set-up article in the Knowledgebase section. Great article by the way Craig! :clap: You talked about string gauge and balanced tension across the fretboard. But, you didn't go into much detail on exactly how to get that balanced tension set of strings? Could you explain more fully or direct me to the right area of the forum. Thanks for all the great info.

Oh, btw, if you really want to see a picture of my new baby. Go to http://www.wolfeguitars.com, click on the current inventory button and when it goes to the new window, go to the 2nd page and it's the 4th guitar down on the page. I haven't figured out yet how to link the page to this forum yet. :?

So, thanks guys for all your help and I really like that Lunch Special weekly thing you got going on.-Rod
Last edited by legacyman on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: New G&L Legacy Owner From Jax, FL Area

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome Rod. If you like the Lunch Reports be sure to send a PM to the current Lunch Reporter and let them know if you want to do it. it's the best place on the forum to get to know other members.

I can't help with the questions you've asked, I 'm sure someone can though.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:10 am

legacyman wrote:Hey All! Just wanted to introduce myself and to say thanks for all the great info that is posted on this forum. I've been lurking around here for a couple of years now off & on. :shifty: As a matter of fact, it was because of you all that I finally made the plunge for a new 2010 USA G&L Legacy. :banana: It's of the standard variety, no options, in the standard Vintage White color. But I plan to make a few minor changes later on. Locking tuners, different color pic-guard maybe. Sorry guys no pictures yet, because I'm still waiting for it to be shipped to me from Wolfe Guitars down Jupiter, FL way. They are a great bunch of people down there. Great service & great price. :D I promise to post some pics as soon as I get that baby in my hands.

Anyhow, because I am a newby to the G&L crowd, I have a couple of questions for Craig or whoever else may be able to help me. My first question is about the pups? I really like the sound of those mfd's on the S-500, and I was wondering if they would fit in the legacy without clr problems because the mfd's are taller. Is the 500 routed deeper in the pup pockets? And my other question is specificly for Craig and about his set-up article in the Knowledgebase section. Great article by the way Craig! :clap: You talked about string gauge and balanced tension across the fretboard. But, you didn't go into much detail on exactly how to get that balanced tension set of strings? Could you explain more fully or direct me to the right area of the forum. Thanks for all the great info.

Oh, btw, if you really want to see a picture of my new baby. Go to http://www.wolfeguitars.com, click on the current inventory button and when it goes to the new window, go to the 2nd page and it's the 2nd or 3rd guitar down on the page. I haven't figured out yet how to link the page to this forum yet. :?

So, thanks guys for all your help and I really like that Lunch Special weekly thing you got going on.-Rod

Welcome!

Re: S-500 pups in a Legacy: All Legacys except the Legacy Deluxe are bathtub routed, with the pickups attached to the pickguard, so there should be no problem with adding S-500 pickups. However, you will want to check the wiring of the S-500 vs Legacy, as there is a difference. Also, see Wiring a Legacy to a S-500 Pickup Configuration???

Re: set-up article in the Knowledgebase: I cannot take credit for it, I just posted it from an earlier post in the original G&LDP.
The author was rcbmusic@sunflower.com. I don't know the answer to your question about balanced tension set of strings.
Hopefully, rcbmusic will read this and provide you with the answer.

Hope this helps.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:35 am

Hey Craig!

Thank you so much for your help. :D I kinda thought they would fit, but I wanted to be sure before I plunked down the money for MFD's. I wanted to wire up a complete second pick guard, set up with the MFD's and swap them out so that if I didn't like it, I could always go back to the original set-up!-Rod

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Congrats on the new guitar!

I found it interesting when I ordered my Legacy, I was told I couldn't get the MFDs installed in it from the factory (was thinking these in the middle and neck might nicely complement the JB Humbucker in the bridge). It seems like if you custom order from the factory, they ought to let you put in any pickup they sell. But I wasn't completely sold on the idea, and I really like the G&L Alnicos, so I'm still a satisfied customer!

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks Jamie, and I'm not quite ready to take on the reins of Lunch Reporter just yet. Soon maybe?

Thanks Muleya for the response. Yes, I already knew they woudn't put them in at the Factory! They want to sell you an S-500 of course! :) I plan to order one in the near future(got 'Gas' already), but I'm not sure of just exactly what I want yet! :think:

BTW, just got an e-mail from UPS that my "BABY" is on the way and it's suppose to be here tomorrow!! :D -Rod

Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:48 pm

That's a sweet looking Legacy Rod. I don't know how you decided between that one and the Himilayan Blue model in the Wolfe inventory list. Did you get to play it beforehand?

If I was living in the US and didn't have to sacrifice my right arm in postage that Himilayan Blue model would be mine already :D

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey Philby thanks and believe when when I say it wasn't easy.There was actually 3 or 4 different ones I kept going back and forth on and the blue one was one of em. There is a Two-Tone and Black one that caught my eye too! But it actually came down to price, you know, $$$money$$$! :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 am

welcome!

I have a 2008 legacy I just received, same colour as yours. Congrats. Mine has the locking tuners (which I love, can't wind strings very well), graphtec nut. I put on locking strap nuts, changed the knobs and changed the tree string to graphtec type.

My legacy also came with a DiMarzio DP184 in the bridge. Its a lot hotter than the stock bridge pickup.

Just some thoughts for you when you go to mod!

Good Luck!