Gibson/Epiphone/G&Lite?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:01 pm

I am/was pretty much always a confirmed P90s Gibson/Epihoneite (anything from the '60 - '63 era only, that thin neck unique to those years being, among other things, the determining factor). Somehow along the way, a couple of decades ago, I came across a G&L SC-3. That was the first "Stratocaster" I ever liked..... a lot! Anyways, time has passed & I never since have had the opportunity or passionate desire enough to seek one out (I would, here & there over the course of these intervening years, pick up a new legacy or ASAT out of curiosity, but haven't been overly impressed..... better than a Fender, but not enough to have me wanting one), until a few weeks ago when I had the good fortune to handle another SC-3, with the same initial reaction I had twenty years earlier..... I love everything about it, the feel, the sound, the look. Anyways, to make an already too lengthy introduction a little shorter, I'll cut to the chase..... I just lucked out & was able to grab one soon after I had made the decision to look for one. It should be here in a few days, although, as I never have (& swore I never would!) before bought a guitar online without a physical inspection, I'm more than a bit apprehensive. I'll let you know my impressions when it arrives.
P.S. - It's a 1987, last year without the pickguard.

Re: Gibson/Epiphone/G&Lite?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:55 pm

By the way, why can't I find the Marketplace & a section to register my instrument (I'm assuming there is one?) & view other's?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm

raymeedc wrote:By the way, why can't I find the Marketplace & a section to register my instrument (I'm assuming there is one?) & view other's?

Go to guitarsbyleo.com and you should see the 9 menu buttons, one is G&L Registry and one of them is Marketplace.

Welcome :greet:

Hope this helps.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Welcome to G&L land. You will find many here sympathetic with your experience with G&Ls.

I got my first G&L in 1999, and then a G&L bass a few years later. Over the years I have read plenty here on the board about models that are no longer in production, but I've only run across one F100 owned by a friend in all those years (an updated version of the F100 is now in the catalog).

A little over a year ago I happen to run across an SC3 in my local Craigslist, although it is actually located in a town more than 60 miles away. I went to check it out anyway because the price sounded good if the instrument was in good shape. When I finally saw it it turned out to be in excellent shape. The owner had bought it more than 10 years before wanting to learn to play, but he rarely played it and it hung on the wall most of that time. Hanging on the wall all that time did not appear to have wrecked the guitar, but it did have checking in the finish. Anyway, I bought the SC3 and it is probably the guitar I pick up to play most often. I really don't know how to describe it, but there is something right about the guitar when I have it in hands.

There have been 3 versions of SC3s and I still have never seen either of the 2 first versions in person. I think I'll just keep my eyes open.

Kit

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm in the process of falling in love with mine all over again. Let us know how you like yours when you get it. Also, if you don't post pictures, it doesn't exist! - ed

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:21 pm

Kit/Ed they are beauties!-- Darwin

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 am

Gorgeous pair! The first one that enchanted me a couple of decades ago was the first body style, a white one identical to yours, but with a dark rosewood fretboard (I much prefer Rosewood or Ebony to the more common Maple, unfortunately). I remember remarking to it's owner how I liked the fact that it had a slabbed, non-sculpted body. I love the simplicity of design & execution in these pickguardless models, 1st & 2nd versions (although I favor the first version). I'm going to be looking for one of these early bodies, for sure, SC-3 or SC-2..... come to think of it, I'll post something to that effect on the Marketplace when I get a chance.