Former lurker crosses over from "the dark side"

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Fellow Pickers,

LK here… new kid on the block. :greet: . Been playing off and on for over 40 years, though mostly acoustic (which as I understand is referred to as “the dark side” in these parts). I recently found this forum and shortly thereafter acquired my first G&L, a pristine 2005 or 6 (Korean) Tribute ASAT Classic in natural finish, for way too nice a price. Knowing generally of G&L’s reputation for tone and quality of build, your insights helped me to feel confident about pulling the trigger on a guitar I had never laid hand or eye on. I have been delighted and impressed with this since it arrived.

I play mostly for my own enjoyment, with a bit of writing and recording too. I use an Epiphone Valve Jr. head (custom tubed for more clean headroom) through a home made cab with 2 10” Weber speakers. The Tribute sounds so fine through this amp. Nothing tricked out, just fabulous straightforward tones.

Well, that’s about “the short of it.” I appreciate being able to tap into the knowledge here, which helped me to make one of the most satisfying “acquisitions” in a long “career” of playing. For those who care for more detail, read on…

Best,
LK

“The long of it”…
OK, how I got here in the first place is that I was intent on building my own tele partscaster. I had done tons of research, laid my plans, sourced my parts, figured my budget, and about to purchase the materials for the body. I had found a great mahogany on ash body on eBay, ridiculous price on an auction about 48 hrs. away. Then I stumbled on the aforementioned ASAT and it looked like I could get it for about what I budgeted for my build minus the price of the neck, tuners and pups.

So I went for the Tribute Classic as it had most of the design elements I had wanted except for the MFD’s, which I didn’t really know too much about. A bargain, right? The worst that could happen was I’d use the body, neck, bridge and control plate and carry on form there. Then it arrived and changed my mind completely…

My first impression was that physically and aesthetically the Classic was solid and quite beautiful. Not much tweaking need there. Then I plugged in and immediately knew I had found the tone I was working to find. So all that planning was paying off in a very unexpected way.

Today I stained the rosewood fretboard with ebony (I’m an ebony fretboard fan), and I’m playing around with the idea of a pearl or vintage white pickguard that I can swap back and forth with the original tortoise shell whichever way the wind blows me. Other than those couple of minor tweaks to taste, this is just too solid and fine a guitar to monkey around with much.

As for my other guitars I have a beautiful Larrivee LV 05e that I’ve played for a couple of years that’s been my “go to” recently. I also have a treasured 1972 Martin D35S (12 fret, slope shouldered, slotted head dread) that I am the original owner of. And there’s also the Electra X930 MPC which is an 80’s Japanese LP clone with on board effects. It’s in immaculate condition and a solid little guitar that’s become something of a collectors’ item.

My home is Georgia and I live east of Atlanta nearer to Athens. Some of my musical influences are Steve Stills, David Crosby, Jackson Browne, Clapton, Duane, Mick Taylor and the venerable B.B. King.

I’ve been a member of the Larrivee forum for a couple of years. It’s a great community that I’ve enjoyed and benefited from greatly. And I’m looking forward to a bit of “give and take” at “guitars by Leo”. After a bit of reading around here I get the feeling that there are some pretty serious guitarists in residence. Although I’m no “guitar god” myself I know great tone when I hear it, and you folks have helped lead me to it. Thanks again for letting me tap into your love of G&Ls to open a new avenue for me to enjoy great guitars…

Re: Former lurker crosses over from "the dark side"

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Welcome LK! One thing you have to know is that you must post pictures of the guitar before we belive it exists...

The early Tribute guitars are indeed very, very well made instruments. I'd have found it hard to part one out too! The MFDs are simply awesome pickups, especially the neck one in the Classic. I believe it to be one of the finest tele neck pickups out there.

Is your guitar routed to accept any pickup in the neck position? My thinking here is that you could use the optional pick guards you mention you to have different guitars - a humbucker with white, a P90 with black, a mini humbucker with pearloid etc.

Again, welcome. Be sure to check in at the 'Lunch Reports' section if the forum for some general chatter.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:49 am

Welcome aboard LK. Congratulations on your first G&L. Like you, my first G&L was a MIK ASAT Classic, made in 2003. Mine is a semi-hollow with maple board though.

The only problem with Tribby's is they're such great guitars for the buck it's hard to stop at one ;)

Blarg is right - unless we see pictures of the new axe it doesn't officially exist (hint hint).

I'm with you on Larrivee guitars too. I have a L-03 that was love at first play. Larrivee are the G&L of acoustic instruments I reckon. I plan to head on over to the Larrivee forum and sign up right now.

I hope you enjoy hanging around here. People are very friendly and always willing to help out if you need to know something.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:09 am

Philby, Blarg,

Thanks for the welcome...
And Blarg, what a great idea (boy you folks around here are sharp). When planning my build I strongly considered putting a min-humbucker in the neck. That would make a great swap-able conversion. How do you think that would work with the 250k pots? Also, I've seen some pictures somewhere that used mini jacks/plugs on the pickup lead so no soldering was need to swap pups. Know where I'd locate something like that?

I'm going to give a try to adding some pics. Bare with me if it doesn't "at first succeed."

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 am

LKJ, welcome to the forum! And that is one pretty looking guitar. Wasn't aware that tortoise pickguards looked so good on a natural finish :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:23 am

Great looking guitar you have there, I really like the grain on that body both front and back. What exactly did you use to stain the fretboard; are those picture taken before of after you treated the fretboard? I have a couple of guitars with ebony fretboard and the feel of ebony is my favorite on a neck.

Kit

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks... yeah I just lucked up a found this one with the great grain in the body.

These shots were taken just this morning, so they're after the fretboard staining job. It's a pretty subtle difference, not like true ebony but more of a deeper/richer rosewood .

I just cleaned the fretboard then applied a little minwax pre-stain conditioner, followed a coat minwax ebony stain. Let the stain sink in about 15 minutes, then cleaned off the excess with a rag dampened with mineral spirits (paint thinner). Once that was dried, I applied a coat of boiled linseed oil to the fretboard, allowed it a few minutes to work its way in and then cleaned with a soft cotton cloth, followed by a bit of hand buffing with a fresh cloth later on.

I think I could have darkened it a bit more with a second coat of stain before the linseed oil, but I liked what the first coat had done enough to be happy.
Last edited by LKJ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

LK:

It sounds like we have a lot in common.

I also have an Electra MPC. It was my second guitar, my first being a Memphis. I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Bill Lawerence dual blade. I don't have the pickup anymore but I know who does and I should buy it back from him to keep the guitar original.

For a long time I've been a fan of EC, Stephen Stills and Mick Taylor. I almost pulled the trigger on a Tribute ASAT CLassic on Craigs List recently (very cheap) but I decide that I really want an American one so I might well save my money for that.

Welcome and I hope you hang around a while.

Tom

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 pm

LK, the grain and the matching on your new ASAT is superb. Great purchase!

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 pm

LKJ wrote:And Blarg, what a great idea (boy you folks around here are sharp). When planning my build I strongly considered putting a min-humbucker in the neck. That would make a great swap-able conversion. How do you think that would work with the 250k pots? Also, I've seen some pictures somewhere that used mini jacks/plugs on the pickup lead so no soldering was need to swap pups. Know where I'd locate something like that?

First, that is a nice looking guitar!

Second, I think 250k pots will be fine. Thats what G&L use in the Bluesboy and if it's good enough for one of them it's good enough for anything!

Those mini jacks (spade terminals I imagine) would be available from any electronics store. There might be special switches with the jacks already on them available from guitar parts stores, but I'm not sure of that. It's not a huge bother to unsolder one pickup ;) and it would be a better connection.