Hi everyone

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi all - I am a new guy in town. I am not a owner of a G & L.....yet. I am looking at purchasing a ASAT Classic Tribute. I sure would like to get some ideas and opinions on this model....

My current rig is a Telecaster TC90 run through a modified Blues Jr.

Sparkler

Re: Hi everyone

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:33 pm

G&L is a great guitar Sparkler. I have a ASAT Special and an ASAT Classic. Love both of them. You can never go wrong if you buy a G&L. Extremely good guitars all the way around. :thumbup:

Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Welcome, Sparkler. My advice: get a used USA ASAT as oposed to a tribute model. It'll cost you a little more but it's worth it! There are, however, plenty of happy tribute owners here.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:26 pm

I have played a ASAT Tribute but not a American made....what would you you consider to be the primary guitar and playability differences??? Why might I prefer the American over the Tribute?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:29 pm

The USA models are just better made - you can feel the difference once you've had it for a while. They're rock solid.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:02 pm

I'm a happy Tribby owner here. I have an ASAT Special and ASAT Classic semi-hollow that I play into a standard 1995 Blues Junior. The higher output of the MFD pickups really drive the Blues Junior well, whereas standard output Fender pickups tend to require a bit of clean boost before hitting the amp.

I fully intended to buy a black USA ASAT Classic that I'd had my eye on, but I preferred the neck radius and finish on the Tributes I played. I ended up buying 2 Tribby's for the price of one US model. I've gigged the ASAT Special for 5 years without any problem, though the electronics were scratchy and needed replacing under warranty. The ASAT Classic has been perfect so far.

I also have a USA G&L S-500, and the quality of the hardware (tuners, electronics, jacks) etc. is definitely higher than the Tributes. I would not say that the fit and finish of the neck and body were inferior on my Tributes though. In particular the ASAT Special is made out of some very nice ash and maple. I was VERY picky about selecting both guitars though. Play a few and you're bound to find some good ones.

Just be aware that Tribute guitars have virtually no resale value compared with the US models, so if you're intending to upgrade at some point you would be better off looking for a good second hand US made G&L.

Whether you buy a USA or Tribute ASAT you're still going to get some nice sounds out of the MFD pickups into your Blues Junior. :thumbup:

Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 am

Thanks to all for your input....I am still in the research mode and I will let you know what buy when that happens....

Sparkler