Holiday Greetings from Indiana

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:19 am

Hi everyone. I registered for the forum yesterday because I had an issue with how to re-string the vintage tuners on my semihollow Bluesboy. Folks responded right away and explained to me the mistake I was making. I really appreciate that. My Bluesboy is the first G&L I've owned. The build quality is comparable to the boutique pieces I own, at a better price point. It does a great job of spanning the range between country, rock and jazz. Only issue I have with it (now that I understand the vintage tuners) is that it is neck heavy. I have to use a "grippy" strap so I don't have to support the neck with my hand while I play. No doubt this is due to it being a semi-hollow guitar. No biggie though. Anyway, I've been playing for almost 40 years and split my guitar time between playing electric and fingerstyle acoustic. I get a lot of enjoyment from doing both. My band days are long behind me so I just play around the house or with friends in an informal setting. I also play sax and harmonica. Music is my passion and I'll continue to play as long as my fingers are able. Once again, I appreciate the good advice I received in the replies to my first post. Seems like a great group of knowledgeable people on this forum! Nice to "meet" you all.

Re: Holiday Greetings from Indiana

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:13 am

Hello Indiana!

Welcome. I've not been around too long here either. It's a great place for answers to questions.

Have a great Christmas.

Bill, in Shrewsbury, United Kingdom

Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 am

Nice to "meet" you too Jeff. And Happy Holidays!

- Jos

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 am

Welcome Jeff. Nice selection of guitars that you have. I hope to pick up a Bluesboy someday as well.
Have a great holiday season!

Tom

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Glad we could help you out, Jeff.

My SH Bluesboy is made from an exceptionally heavy piece of ash, it weighs as much as my solid bodied ASATs!!! Needless to say, mine isn't neck heavy, just heavy. I've found, on neck heavy guitars, that a wide strap with a rough leather back holds the guitar in place pretty well.

That is somewhat of a dream list of guitars you own - do you have amps to match them?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:48 pm

To blargfromouterspace:

Thanks for the nice comments. After many years, I've distilled my collection down to what I list in my signature. As to amps, I have a Carr Rambler, a Dr Z Maz 18 JR, and a Suhr Badger 18. Like the guitars, each amp has its own character and tone. I had a vintage '68 Bassman head that I used to gig with, but it was way too much amp for home use so I sold it.

Peace.