Jammmmmm

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:36 am

Whats up Jam masters. Just signed up, mainly because I can't stop a recent obsession I've had.

My 3 favorite guitar players of all time rocked out to Leo's guitars: Jerry, Stevie and Jimi. Now I know what you're thinking, my username is a blatant homage to Trey from Phish, who certainly did not rock Leo's jams. This is true, but only because of the hilarious spin I've put on his name do i use it as my username.

We digress.

I cannot, for the life of me, relieve this obsession I've had with the fact that I DO NOT own a G&L (gasp). I have a friend who owns 5, and had only heard OF them until he was like "here try out these guitars" one day at the studio several months ago. Since then the object of my obsession has been the ASAT Classic S. I've played deluxes, and I've played Classics, but the Classic S is something that I need in my life sometime within the next couple of months.

I come to you all in search of wisdom and guidance. I've had some ideas as to how I should go about acquiring this beast, and must make sure I do it correctly. I'm currently a college student, so along with that comes the object of monetary income as a preventative factor in my G&L acquisition. I've searched eBay skeptically, but a lack of supply has prevented me from establishing an acceptable market price.

What is the market price for the Classic S, 2004-2005 releases?
Is there a way to create a custom G&L that can provide the same function and utility for me as a player that avoids the pricing points in a limited production guitar?

Thanks, Jam on Bros.

Duff

Re: Jammmmmm

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 am

Hey Duff,

Welcome to the board! To answer your question is hard. As you state, there is not a large supply out there. According to the Vintage Guitar 2011 Price Guide a (2007) Classic S in pristine condition goes for somewhere between $725 and $850. I guess a 2004 would be listed for about the same. But I haven't seen one for that price in the last 2-3 years. The few I have seen were more in the $1.5k range!

In addition, so you can make an informed decision, the 2004 ASAT S came in a 100 piece run, as did the 2007 series. And just so you are aware of it, the main difference between the 2 series, beyond the colors offered, is that the 2004 series has a volume push-pull whereas the 2007 has a tone push-pull to get the the extra pick-up selections. I do not know what the vintage is of your friends Classic S is but if you played a 2004 you should be aware that any later Classic S has this change in configuration. Many of the Classic S's built after 2007 also have body contours: front, back, or both.

And, although I haven't heard anything definitive on this issue, there are still rumors the Classic S may become a production model.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 am

yowhatsshakin wrote:Hey Duff,

Welcome to the board! To answer your question is hard. As you state, there is not a large supply out there. According to the Vintage Guitar 2011 Price Guide a (2007) Classic S in pristine condition goes for somewhere between $725 and $850. I guess a 2004 would be listed for about the same. But I haven't seen one for that price in the last 2-3 years. The few I have seen were more in the $1.5k range!

In addition, so you can make an informed decision, the 2004 ASAT S came in a 100 piece run, as did the 2007 series. And just so you are aware of it, the main difference between the 2 series, beyond the colors offered, is that the 2004 series has a volume push-pull whereas the 2007 has a tone push-pull to get the the extra pick-up selections. I do not know what the vintage is of your friends Classic S is but if you played a 2004 you should be aware that any later Classic S has this change in configuration. Many of the Classic S's built after 2007 also have body contours: front, back, or both.

And, although I haven't heard anything definitive on this issue, there are still rumors the Classic S may become a production model.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Another main difference is the neck radius: 2004 has the 7 1/2" radius and the 2007 has the 12" radius.

In 2008-2009, some small runs with solid bodies and body contours were built.

Not yet on the standard production list - so I guess the rumor continues ... :lol:

TreyJamistasibro wrote:Is there a way to create a custom G&L that can provide the same function and utility for me as a player that avoids the pricing points in a limited production guitar?

Thanks, Jam on Bros.

Duff

Welcome! :greet:

If you are so inclined, you could buy a used USA ASAT Classic or Tribute ASAT Classic and convert it to an 'S'.
You would need to get a G&L MFD SC Middle pickup for S500, 5 Way Pickup Selector Switch (both available from G&L On-Line Store) and a pickguard for the ASAT Classic S model (available from Chandler's Pickguard Heaven). We also have the ASAT Classic 'S' wiring diagram
in the Gallery. Use the new pickguard to locate the middle pickup rout.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated G&L On-Line Store link

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 pm

thanks fellas, that helps out a lot.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:06 pm

wait a minute, can i install a middle pick-up on a USA ASAT Classic or Tribute Classic? would I need to preform surgery on the body? kind of sketches me out a little bit, but i do have a guy who makes such moves.

as far as used purchases go, are there specific red flags I should look for when evaluating? for example: Don't pay x number of dollars for a used G&L that doesn't come with y feature (fretboard, finish, electronics ect.)

There is a used Classic S on ebay opening at 8hundo, and selling for 1G. is it reasonable to replace the neck/head stock with birds-eye maple/gloss, mother of pearl in-lays? on top of the initial cost of the guitar? or is it usually better to buy a guitar with those neck/fretboard/headstock specifications and order the electronics i want, and have them surgically installed?

I would simply remove a glittery pearl pick-guard, cover with spray adhesive, have an artist friend airbrush a custom design, finish with clear-coat and reinstall for no cost. has this been done in the past? or is this procedure not realistic.

i appreciate the knowledge fellas, its impressive how much you guys know.

Duff

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi Duff, and welcome.

There are no real red flags to look out for when buying used, just the usual - make sure it's in good working order and that its not too beat up. The electronics etc. are all standard, and there aren't many hardware options that are significant improvements over a standard model.

I'm pretty sure that G&Ls come with abalone inlay as standard. You might be able to find a used Classic with a Birds Eye maple neck, though they are uncommon. Birds eye maple looks nice but many makers don't use it anymore because it is not as stable as rock maple. There are no tonal benefits that come with birds eye maple.

The Classic S seems to come out in bursts on ebay - I bought mine in late '08, the specs are different than the '04 or '07 runs in that it has a solid body with contours and has a different finish. It looks to me like there has been a '10 run too. I recall seeing them for sale in white, spanish copper and lake placid blue recently. They can be had at a pretty damn good price new and are a fantastic, versatile guitar.

You might want to consider contacting a good dealer who can contact the factory and have them build you a Classic S in whatever finish you want, then you can specify everything. If that's not in your price range then I'd go for the route suggested by Craig - buy a standard Classic and mod it.

As for your pick guard idea, I'm sure that would be fine. Just be sure to use a very tough clear coat, like polyurethane, to prevent it becoming overly hazed too quickly.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 pm

TreyJamistasibro wrote:wait a minute, can i install a middle pick-up on a USA ASAT Classic or Tribute Classic? would I need to preform surgery on the body? kind of sketches me out a little bit, but i do have a guy who makes such moves.

Hey Duff,

Yes you can since the ASAT Classic has the so-called 'bath-tub' rout. What this means is that when you take the pickguard off, you would see that there is an 'oversized' rectangular rout. This makes it easy to make modifications like adding a middle pup. See this post by Craig.

- Jos

Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:
TreyJamistasibro wrote:wait a minute, can i install a middle pick-up on a USA ASAT Classic or Tribute Classic? would I need to preform surgery on the body? kind of sketches me out a little bit, but i do have a guy who makes such moves.

Hey Duff,

Yes you can since the ASAT Classic has the so-called 'bath-tub' rout. What this means is that when you take the pickguard off, you would see that there is an 'oversized' rectangular rout. This makes it easy to make modifications like adding a middle pup. See this post by Craig.

- Jos

Actually no, the ASAT Classic body is not bath-tub routed. Only the S-body types (Legacy, S-500 and Comanche models) have the bath-tub rout.
So, to install the middle pickup you would need to rout the body.

Hope this helps.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Aha! Clearly, I have never taken the pickguard off of any of my ASAT's. Why would I? I am perfectly happy with the wide range of ASAT's in my collection. But I learned something today :idea: I should have read Greg Gagliano page on the S-3 and his debunking the 'myth'.

- Jos

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:17 pm

this is awesome. I think i'm going to go ahead and make the move and get a daphne blue ASAT Classic S for around 800. i think that's pretty sweet right?

Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:38 am

TreyJamistasibro wrote:... i think that's pretty sweet right?

Sounds like a steal to me. Good luck and keep us posted.

- Jos

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm

TreyJamistasibro wrote:this is awesome. I think i'm going to go ahead and make the move and get a daphne blue ASAT Classic S for around 800. i think that's pretty sweet right?

Very. That'll be a smart looking guitar. :thumbup:

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I think i'm going to go ahead and make the move and get a daphne blue ASAT Classic S for around 800.

Please post some pics when she comes in! Daphne blue is one of my all time fave guitar colours - especially with a maple fretboard. You don't see them very often though.