Greetings from Atlanta

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:19 am

Hello everyone.Bought my first G&L last year,an ASAT Classic,and it's fantastic.I always enjoy doing / learning more country songs on it.A really great story accompanies my purchase and rescue of this particular guitar.I look forward to many great collaborations here.

Re: Greetings from Atlanta

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:49 am

Welcome :happy0065: And don't refrain to show us your ax and tell the story!

- Jos

Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:56 am

Welcome to the community. Interested in hearing the story. BTW as it's been said many times before... no pics it doesn't exist!

Glad you found us
G

Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:07 am

Pics? Evidently that's up to the site Admin.

Anywho:
I found this guitar @ GC in Marietta GA.I noticed the price was kinda low,and the guitar was high up on the wall.I asked to see it,and I quickly noticed why the tag price was $550.There was LOTS of relief in the neck.

Sooooooo,I ask the kid working there to adjust the relief out.He tries.And tries.And tries.And tries.And still,he tries.No luck whatsoever.I tell him that I'm still interested,but we're gonna have to talk about the price.This kid was awesome and had a humorous attitude about all of this.

The neck is not moving.He asks if I'm still interested in this guitar.I say yes.He says,"Well...." ,then looks at the price tag.I tell him politely and gingerly if he wants to sell me that guitar,the price must come down.I explained that if that guitar needs major work,by the time I sink the required money and time into it,I might as well buy one that is clean.Therefore the buying price must reflect an amount that makes the effort and/or risk worth it.Mind you,I did NOT do this whining and complaining.I told the kid this is part of negotiation,nothing more.He smiled,and said "I'll go talk to the manager."

Kid comes back."Manager says $450".I replied,"Now the fun begins", in an amiable,joking way.Kid smiles and asks'"That price ok?".I reply,"Here we go.$250."

Kid disappears ,comes back."$400".I reply "$300.Ain't this fun?"

Kid comes back, "$350 without a case." I reply,"I'm looking at this as guitar rescue.If I leave it here,will it have a good home elsewhere?" I buy it.

Month later,guitar still isn't right,but has great tone.I take it to 2 different luthiers here in Atlanta,both give me the same expensive answer.One suggested a Mighty Mite neck.My gut said there is a better way to do this right.

I fire the neck off to a famous guy out there in California.He calls me back,saying the truss rod is in great shape.He puts a new nut on the end of the rod,levels the frets,sends it back to me .Then tells me to "let him know how it turns out".Neck held for 15 minutes.But he did a bang-up job and didn't charge me much at all.

Meanwhile a few months later....

One day I'm moving along HWY 360 to get some parts for my racebike and I see some longhairs playing hacky-sack in a parking lot.I see a glass storefront behind them with a neon Fender sign in the window.Of course,I pull in the parking lot to check out the store.I meet the owner,we get to chatting.This particular store does repairs,lessons and sale of mostly used guitars,nothing else.Not a dealer or anything.We get to talking and I tell him about my G&L ASAT and all the details.He says,"Give it to me,I can fix that."

And he did.I'll be buried with this guitar. :happy0065:

Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:33 pm

And he did.I'll be buried with this guitar.

Great Story!

I'm waiting for guest to arrive and this story provided me with a cool break from the cleaning and preping madness which comes with hosting Thanksgiving for the family.

Enjoy the guitar.

Tom

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:26 am

Awesome story, what did he do to fix it though?

Welcome to the forum.

Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:41 am

sirmyghin wrote:Awesome story, what did he do to fix it though?

Welcome to the forum.

+1 :thumbup:

Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:07 pm

kjohnson wrote:Pics? Evidently that's up to the site Admin.

I posted this to your other thread too, here's a link to tips on posting photos:

posting photos

...look about half way down the page.

sirmyghin wrote:Awesome story, what did he do to fix it though?

Welcome to the forum.

+1 :)

Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:20 am

:BangBang:

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:40 am

Friend me on facebook,tired of going around the sun to getvto the moon,just to upload pics.Some of you will really like my amp collection also.

Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 pm

kjohnson wrote::BangBang:

kjohnson wrote:Friend me on facebook,tired of going around the sun to getvto the moon,just to upload pics.Some of you will really like my amp collection also.

I was out most of last week. Elwood did point you to our G&LDP Guidelines which has the information for posting photos here.

What problem have you been running into with posting a photo from your photo hosting service?
Have you tried our Registered User's Gallery?

I sure would like to help.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

I tried and a ? popped up in my reply.I'll try again later today when I get home.

Thank you for your sincerity.I'm accustomed to just being able to post a pic right away.

If anyone wants to know what Ed Jayes did to fix my guitar,you can call him (678) 725-4813.He did the work,not me :) He'll tell you all the details.