my new asat z-3

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:22 pm

when i'm bending my high E string sometimes it will get caught on the last fret closest to the body of the guitar. what can i do to fix this?
Last edited by jason on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: my new asat z-3

Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:19 am

A lot of Z's caught in that picture! Congrats :happy0065: That must be an amazing sonic combination.

To solve your string problem, you can try to raise the saddle of the high E ever so slightly. Ideally you would use a radius gauge and adjust the whole set of saddles to have the same radius as your fingerboard. Another solution is to try a heavier string set and setting up your guitar accordingly. At least I assume that you are just talking about a so-called 'fretting out' problem, which is not uncommon if your fingerboard radius is 7.5", and not that your E-string is truly physically caught by that last fret when bending. In the latter case something would be seriously wrong with that fret where it might have partly popped out of its slot and is no longer seated correctly.

- Jos

Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 am

Nice ASAT! And sounds like Jos has got you pretty well covered on the fret problem. However, as Jos alludes to at the end there, you might also try tapping that fret with something (carefully, so as not to dent the fret or hit the fingerboard) to make sure it's fully seated.

And a last resort, after all other attempts have failed, would be to file the culprit fret down a bit. I had one stubborn fret on an acoustic once. Since there was no bridge adjustment and it was only a single fret giving me trouble, I filed it ever so slightly with good success.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am

the high E string physically gets caught at the very top fret when bending. not all the time but enough to know something i wrong. by the looks of it the fret looks like it is as far down as it could go. i'm thinking about taking it to a tech to fix this. hopefully it is something simple.