Hello from Newbie, and a few questions

Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Hey, I just joined this forum but I've had my eyes on it for a while. Figured it was about time after buying my 3rd G&L yesterday. My first was a 1980 or 1981 F-100, a player to be sure but it sounded and played amazing. I sold it to my guitar teacher, but no regrets 'cus he makes it sound a lot better than I did!! My second is a 2008 G&L Legacy 3-tone burst, satin neck with maple board. Sounds soooo nice, and plays like butter. My third was something I picked up just yesterday - an original Rampage in great condition!!! I walked into my local guitar store, saw it hanging on the wall, and knew immediately I had to have it (I am a huge Jerry Cantrell fan). The action is really low with no fret buzz whatosever, and near-perfect frets (must have been dressed recently). It looks like it's all original with black hardware, including Kahler trem, original tuners, etc... Ivory with matching headstock, nicely aged to yellow particularly on the frontside of the guitar. With serial no. G016499, I think it is a 1985, but have not yet checked the neck pocket. It had no case and was missing the original trem arm (the shop threw one in that fits perfectly), but for $700 . . . it was a no brainer. Now my questions - The string lock mechanism (made by Guitar Tech) is missing the top plate - any idea if these are available anywhere? (I doubt it). Second, anybody know how I can identify the body wood - pretty sure it's maple but could be alder? Does G&L have this info on file somewhere? Third, would I hurt the value and appeal of the guitar if I added a Floyd Rose locking nut like Cantrell has on his? The tuning stability is pretty good, but I know once I start dive bombing on the thing it's gonna get a little touchy. I know this may be a matter of opinion. Anyway, cheers and thanks for being here!!!

Pics: http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m53 ... 7/Rampage/

Re: Hello from Newbie, and a few questions

Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 am

Welcome! :greet:

I just added two new entries to the G&L Knowledgebase in the General G&L Questions sub-forum about
the original Rampage and one on the Custom Creations 2000 model.

See: What are the specifications of the original G&L Rampage? and Custom Creations 2000 Rampage vs original Rampage.

Hope this helps.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Great looking guitar! I have been searching high and low for an original Rampage! G&L guitars are hard to find in my area (Dayton,OH) because there aren't any dealers nearby. Thanks for sharing the picks!

Dave

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks! I've been on the lookout for a Rampage myself for over a year, so imagine my surprise when I found one in great condition hanging on the wall at my local shop. The neck carve and body contours on it are sooo comfortable, and the action is just perfect. I'm really digging it. Also, the stock pickup is hotter than I thought it would be and I see no need to change it out any time soon. Good luck in your search.

-Adam