Hello from Virginia (with pics)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:36 am

Hi im Kyle
Im 18 years old. i just bought me my first g&l. ive always wanted to try one. ive heard theyre better then fenders and such. its an asat deluxe special. i love the pickups, sounds great. right now im playin out of a crappy marshall mg100 combo. distortion sucks on those things in my opinion. im savin up for an orange ad30 though. i dont play with many effects. i play a lot of 90's rock right now. i love the guitar, body is in great shape but it could use a new neck eventually. its got some wear. any advice where to look for necks? itd be nice to have a 12" radius neck on it or somethin. and sorry the picture isnt very clear

Re: Hello from Virginia (with pics)

Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:09 am

Hi Kyle,

Welcome. I have an ASAT Special Deluxe too. In Blueburst with a Rosewood neck. They sure are great guitars.

I must get around to posting some pics.

Bill

Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:02 am

Hello Other Kyle (I claim Kyle until another Kyle who joined before me trumps and supercedes me).

Nice axe you got there, I love me some specials. I just got one in tuesday and have been playing the heck out of it. Mine has a #3 neck so it has the 12" radius, and a wider nut (gibson width). You have good taste in colour too.

The real question here is what do you mean by neck wear.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:00 pm

sirmyghin wrote:The real question here is what do you mean by neck wear.

some of the finish has worn off and there is some fret wear

Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:02 pm

one thing you can do, is remove the rest of the finish , and get some tung oil, and use that as a finish (gives an extremely silky neck feel, without a feel of finish on the surface, you do not let it build up). I did that with a squier a long time ago, here is a thread where I sought advice.

http://forums.carvinmuseum.com/viewtopi ... t=tung+oil

The fret wear, if never dressed before there is probably a whole lot of fret left, you would do well with a levelling and crowning.