Hello from the Pacific Northwest (Washington State)

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:13 pm

Hope this message finds you all doing well.

Only in the last few years have I gotten serious about guitar. Picked up an ASAT Special and it didn't move me immediately, so I spent more time with my PRS SE Custom 24. But as time went on, I found myself increasingly drawn to the ASAT. Loved the sound of it. Loved the FEEL of it.

So, naturally, I sold it.

I got rid of my Squier Jazzmaster, too, though. It was depressing to me just how much money I'd have to invest in that instrument to get it playing and feeling like my ASAT Special. I pooled the proceeds from the ASAT and Jazzmaster and acquired a used, pristine 2022 CLF Doheny V12—like a Jazzmaster and ASAT Special all rolled up into one incredible guitar. They'll probably have to pry it from my dead fingers.

Also just recently acquired a used and not-so-pristine Tribute Comanche. Love it. Again, amazing sound, feel, and quality. Single coils … without the hum! Why the fuss over Strats? Anyway, it's very playable, but it has some hopefully not-too-serious issues from its previous owner that I need to fix, so I'll likely be picking some expert brains in this forum—thank you in advance! :)

I'm always so impressed at how much love and quality G&L pack into even their budget guitars. It's what keeps me coming back for more. Great, too, to have this community. I look forward to meeting you.

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest (Washington State)

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 am

welcome and congrats! that doheny V12 is well thought of here.
i'm a comanche fan and asat special fan as well.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:51 am

Hear, hear . Anyone who has an appreciation for the V12 is A OK in my book. Welcome ! Cheers to a fellow PNW er. The people around here know quite a bit about the G&L's. They will resolve out of the mist to answer your questions......

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm

Thanks very much, john o and Paul!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm

Welcome to the club and ya got some killer guitars to cover lots o’ ground! :happy0065:

The Doheny V12 gets nothing but phenomenal reviews, and yours is only pushing me closer. That’s a lot for a hard core ASAT guy.

The Comanche is a sleeper that surprises many. Post pics of yer guitars, we love to pics from the G&L family.

Remember, you can never have too many ASAT’s!

Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:13 am

Welcome! G&L does make excellent instruments in general. I have several of them, both US made and from overseas. I find the overseas G&L can be every bit as good as those built in California; one of my favorites to play is a Tribute Fallout from Indonesia. Check out the Fallouts because they are quite unique.

I also live in WA state, but down south right across the river from Portland Oregon.

Kit

Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm

Thanks very much, Sam and Kit.

Totally recommend the V12, Sam. And if you want a guy to really convince you, check out Jonathan Koh's video (for some reason, you'll have to copy/past the URL or open it in a new tab):

https://youtu.be/xzTc__uXakA?si=izIdRLd94sRftZSe

His is the exact model/finish I have. It's a bit on the heavy side, and he mentions that, but it's so sweet.

Appreciate the Fallout recommendation, Kit. I'll definitely take a look. I was considering an upgrade to my PRS SE Custom 24 and thought a Skyhawk HH might fit the bill. What do you think? Or would a Tribute Fallout do nicely?

Photos were requested. Here they are.

Thanks again, everyone, for the warm welcome. Take care!
Last edited by thatsme on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.