Hello from Germany

Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:14 am

Hi,

I'm Jonas. I live in Northern Germany. I've been checking out a number of Tribute model guitars (Fallout, ASAT classic) and really got into G&L that way, so I just bought my first US made G&L. It's a 1990 ASAT with all original hardware, in near mint condition with just a couple minor dings. Which is fine since I bought it for playing.

It's currently undergoing a deep clean and setup, which is why the pictures show it in disassembled state. The build quality strikes me as stellar, it's built like a tank.

I found it already registered on guitarsbyleo.com. It is serial number G026029, with a body date of 1989 and a neck date of 1990. The neck is stamped "2" on the body side, I assume that's a neck profile? I also assume that the body is ash, despite the guitar's weight of 3.70 kilograms (8.1 pounds). I have no idea whose signature that is on the neck, does anybody know?

A German trader took a short video of this guitar:

Here's some pics of the guitar assembled:

The lady, after her visit to the work bench, will be run through a '78 Vox AC 30, among other things. It'll be a fine match. Now if I can just fight the urge to order more G&L guitars, I should be fine.

PS. You guys ran out of T-shirts in the webstore. I do not approve. I want a T-shirt.

PPS. I found another 1990 ASAT on the forum that looks strikingly similar:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=16822

Re: Hello from Germany

Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:13 pm

nice guitar, congrat's!
good luck with the urge, but it is pointless to resist! :)

Re: Hello from Germany

Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:35 am

While cleaning the guitar, I found the entire fingerboard (and maybe the sides of the neck also) has some kind of transparent gunk on it. At first I though it was finger grease, since it had the typical pattern in the lower frets where it'd been partially worn away. But no, on closer inspection the higher frets have an unbroken layer of this gunk on them.

It's rather hard to see, because it's transparent with a honey tinge, but it fully covers the high gloss lacquer beneath. When rubbing it away (with rags, isopropyl alcohol and lots of patience), it becomes easy to tell the gunk from the shiny finish because the gloss is revealed where the gunk is removed.

This is very strange, maybe someone covered the fretboard in oil or wax and let it sit for the last 30 years...

It can be seen in this picture. The 12th fret has been mostly cleaned, the 13th and 14th have the gunk partially rubbed away to reveal the glossy finish.

I've never seen anything like this before, and the stuff is very stubborn. Zippo fluid does nothing. Only lots of rubbing will.