Back on Board.

Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:38 am

After a long hiatus from the GBL website I am back to look around and say hey.

Planning to downsize a large collection of around 70 guitars and 35 tube amplifiers but it is incredibly difficult to get started.

I have been intending to start this journey for a few years but have had no luck.

I live near Clearwater Beach FL and catch as much live music in the area as possible.

Jam on!

Dan

Re: Back on Board.

Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:06 pm

My first G&L guitar was purchased at Phil's Guitarworks on Drew Street in Clearwater Florida. He was the local G&L dealer and had a NAMM show ASAT for sale.

He told me it was a 1990, Natural finish, Black crinkle pick guard, with the micro adjustable tremelo that has "by Leo Fender " engraved or stamped in it.

Headstock has gold lettering decals G&L, ASAT and by Leo Fender. Sperzel locking tuners.

That started my interest in G&L guitars 33 years ago. Since then I have always kept an eye out for odd ball models, special builds , prototypes etc.

I remember seeing a one off model on Ebay - a side project by a G&L factory employee that was called the bikini bottom guitar. Wish I had won that one.

Dan

Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:48 pm

My SC-3 is from 1990, and the decal is also gold lettering:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Er4TNsyIzrkFz8SL1_z0TC7JqPgObqoa/view?usp=sharing

Kit

Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Hey Dan! :greet:

Welcome back and cool history on your first G&L.

Will look for any updates on yer downsizing, but in the meantime jump in often. :thumbup:

Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:32 am

70 guitars? I have six electrics and I find it overwhelming. Welcome to the forum !

Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:46 pm

I am very fortunate to still have my first guitar and amplifier. A 1979 Ibanez ST-50 and a Musician 112 RP 65.

I bought and sold a few over the years - bought and kept more than sold.

My office is on top of a garage - it's 30 X 60 and is home to a few drum sets, a piano, some keyboards and lots of guitars and amps. I love Fender amps from 1982- 1985 and Musicman amps too.

Having a large space away from the house was an enabling factor in amassing this collection. Out of sight = out of mind so very little pushback from my wife!

In the early years before the office she would be using the vacuum and hit a mysterious object under the bed. Then she would say " did you get another one??"

Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:53 pm

Welcome back, Dan!

I was on the forums during my college years and after, 1997-2003ish and bought and sold many G&L’s during that period . . . Just came back as well and looking to share some stories and love of Leo’s final and finest instruments.

Matt G.