New G&L Aficionado Here~~

Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:59 am

This bass quest of mine started December 5 2022. I’m a mandolin player/jammer and have been needing some inspiration to get to my next level and get to understanding modes and mastering my fretboard knowledge. Had just read the book “The Practice of Practice” and was inspired by the part that says play other instruments. Though I do play acoustic guitar as well…it always seems like practice. Was up watching After all that mandolin high end I just knew I needed some bottom. Needed my feet to vibrate. Called my brother in law and borrowed his old bass and got to learning. Found my head bobbing and leg bouncing.

Since I started I have gone through a few basses to find what I wanted to play. In that hunt I came across G&L. Had seen the name on Sweetwater but was not familiar. As I watched You Tube videos on bass I some G&L stuff came up. Got the whole Leo and George story. Saw the factory. Started looking at them on Sweetwater site.
So I watched Low End Lobster on You Tube do his thing with a G&L CLF Research L-1000. In natural Swamp Ash. I was enthralled with the sound. And look. And relative simplicity compared to the L-2000. This led me to search as many videos as I could. Not really that many out there by bass You Tube video standards.

The L-1000 is not available in the Tribute line. My heart was on this bass. It invaded my thoughts. Where I live there are no music stores that I could find that had this bass I could go see and play and feel. Started showing pictures to my wife Meg that are on the Sweetwater site. She told me I don't need to justify the buy. "Do you need it?" she asks. "no" say I.
"Do you want it?" she asks. "Indeed oh yes oh yes" I say. I love quality things. Like my wife. She is quality. It is an early birthday gift.
So I purchased a Demo model on Sweetwater. Could barely even see the blemishes. I love this bass in my hands.

Since I have purchased a G&L Tribute Fallout guitar as I had never played electric. Really fun guitar.
And recently bought a B-Stock G&L Tribute JB-2 after lots of research. Top notch tones out of that bass! The Shell Pink is real nice. I like it. I like it a lot.
I'm still surprised many of my friends have never heard of G&L. But as new huge fan of G&L....I see so many great comments on You Tube and folks that are G&L all the way.

Thankee for reading this.
Shug

ImageIMG_9156 by Sean Emery, on Flickr

ImageG&L Fallout Guitar by Sean Emery, on Flickr

Re: New G&L Aficionado Here~~

Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:42 pm

I love the Fallout in shell Pink! Here is mine, I changed the p90 cover:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:53 am

Something about that pink~ Really different looking guitar. I watched Chappers play the heck out of one on the Andertons Music You Tube channel and he liked it the best when demoing G&L Tribute guitars.

Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:05 pm

Hey Shug :wave:

Welcome and nice gitars ya got there. Always like to see a low ender venture into this crazy mixed up world. :evilgrin: Dig the 7 month demo, what’s yer overall impression 7 months in? From my first G&L to the latest, after a few months I seem to find a few things I never expected.

Those shell pink finishes look way cool, and you guys are only enticing me more. Luckily my wife is like yours, supportive of my addict….”enjoyment” of guitars, G&L in particular. I’m with you on watching Chappers highlight G&L’s, funny dude and seems to truly appreciate G&L quality. Look forward to hearing more about your G&L journey.

Remember, you can never have too many ASAT’s! :elguitar054:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:42 pm

welcome, i enjoyed your story! glad you are finding good things in the G&L camp. i too have noticed that the andertons guys do tend to really appreciate the quality of the G&L's. i hope they sell alot in UK. i was over playing with my son tonight and he has a tribute L 2000 bass which is a really nice instrument. transparent orange finish and maple fret board and the 2 usa made mfd pickups. sounds great!

Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:22 am

sam wrote:Hey Shug :wave:

Welcome and nice gitars ya got there. Always like to see a low ender venture into this crazy mixed up world. :evilgrin: Dig the 7 month demo, what’s yer overall impression 7 months in? From my first G&L to the latest, after a few months I seem to find a few things I never expected.

Those shell pink finishes look way cool, and you guys are only enticing me more. Luckily my wife is like yours, supportive of my addict….”enjoyment” of guitars, G&L in particular. I’m with you on watching Chappers highlight G&L’s, funny dude and seems to truly appreciate G&L quality. Look forward to hearing more about your G&L journey.

Remember, you can never have too many ASAT’s! :elguitar054:

My impression is that when I wake up in the morning I can't wait to get my hands on the G&Ls and play. The low key approach of G&L might have pulled me in to the, dare I type it...fanboy realm. I've enjoyed learning about the whole story of G&L and have jumped aboard. You gotta pick a team! I'm a Formula 1 racing fan and my team is McClaren F1 Team. All in. Love their philosophy and style. I watched a couple of factory tour videos on G&L and just enjoyed the whole vibe. Leo's office left alone and still there. Impressive.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:28 am

john o wrote:welcome, i enjoyed your story! glad you are finding good things in the G&L camp. i too have noticed that the andertons guys do tend to really appreciate the quality of the G&L's. i hope they sell alot in UK. i was over playing with my son tonight and he has a tribute L 2000 bass which is a really nice instrument. transparent orange finish and maple fret board and the 2 usa made mfd pickups. sounds great!

It is fun to read comments on G&L demos and see how many folks just love them. I feel like I am in a Secret Camp in a way.
Low End Lobster has done many good reviews on G&Ls.
Nice you can jam with your son. I will have an L-2000 someday. I am a maple fretboard fan too. Bet that orange and maple look sassy.
I went with the L-1000 first as it was kin to the P-bass. I'm still on my discovery quest and am really enjoying the different sound the JB-2 puts out. Was never a huge disciple of the Jaco style bridge sound but that might be changing. Keeping an open mind. Keeping an open mind to all.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:46 am

Hey Shug,

I see it now, McClaren F1 Team and G&L’s McLaren family! Brothers from a different mother as they say. I’m with ya on waking up and thinking about G&L guitars. Lots a fanboys round here.

My son plays a L-2000 so occasionally I get my bass fix.

Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:44 am

sam wrote:Hey Shug,

I see it now, McClaren F1 Team and G&L’s McLaren family! Brothers from a different mother as they say. I’m with ya on waking up and thinking about G&L guitars. Lots a fanboys round here.

My son plays a L-2000 so occasionally I get my bass fix.

McLaren Xs 2 in my life. I'll take it. Both bring joy.
Up early. Off to fly and practice control line model airplane flying for an upcoming contest (McLaren Gulf livery)then home for a light snack and grab the L-1000 and JB-2 on out to practice. Been working on Level 42's Starchild and jazz tune Billies Bounce Those are my recent drill downs. Under my fingers but watching what needs work and isolating. Focus. I find I enjoy that kind of practice. After.....just jam play. Some slap and groove.

ORDER OF FUN TODAY~~

Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:13 am

Shug - welcome! Always great to hear the old old story of how we discovered G&L guitars!

I like what you said about playing several instruments. I started on guitar and while it remains my main interest, I started playing bass regularly a few years back, and I think I've learned more about music in the past 4 years than I have in the previous 30. I was already a G&L fan when I picked up this bass playing gig, I was using a borrowed bass and wanted to get my own - so I picked up a G&L JB2 - read the reviews, and just bought one online. When it finally arrived I was amazed at how great it played, and how sweet it sounded.

Great vid! loved the star pants! That put a smile of admiration on my face.

:sign0011:

Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 am

DanDoulogos wrote:Shug - welcome! Always great to hear the old old story of how we discovered G&L guitars!

I like what you said about playing several instruments. I started on guitar and while it remains my main interest, I started playing bass regularly a few years back, and I think I've learned more about music in the past 4 years than I have in the previous 30. I was already a G&L fan when I picked up this bass playing gig, I was using a borrowed bass and wanted to get my own - so I picked up a G&L JB2 - read the reviews, and just bought one online. When it finally arrived I was amazed at how great it played, and how sweet it sounded.

Great vid! loved the star pants! That put a smile of admiration on my face.

:sign0011:

The star pants are my happy-plucking pants I reckon.
I too an enjoying my JB-2 more than i thought i would. Fun to hear the difference in tones between the JB-2 and L-1000.
Never too late to dive in and ramp up the learning curve. I'm enjoying really learning to learn the fretboard.
Shug