Hello from another newb

Mon May 01, 2023 3:55 pm

Hi there from the ocean-meets-mountain zone of the Olympic Peninsula, WA!

I should probably be better at guitar than I am for someone who's dabbled for 35 years, but better late than never I suppose. I started off with a Washburn strat-like thing which I wish I still had, but I traded it in for a humbucker and floyd rose thing when I started getting more into heavy metal. Never liked that one as much, and then I mostly focused on acoustic for quite a while, with several too-long breaks of not playing at all due to travel and other circumstances.

In the 90s I became very interested in 60s garage and surf music, and that led me to an infatuation with offset guitars and twangy tones. I've dabbled a whole lot, never gotten serious (for long) nor played professionally, but lots of home recording and playing in jam circles with friends. A lot of my guitar playing was with effects and often with a punk influence.

I'm a little older now, but have kept the love of surf and offsets. I have a Jaguar, a Jazzmaster, and a Squier VI. I'm increasingly interested in clean tones and more, shall we say "pretty" music.

I realize it is a totally different beast from the offsets I am familiar with, but for my next act, I've started the custom order process on a Doheny. I'm excited about this, and am using it to motivate me to learn to play "for real" with a local instructor. I think I have some bad habits to unlearn, and will be biding my time over the next 6 to 12 months learning all I can. I will be happy to share more as this guitar becomes a reality!

Thanks for all the wonderful info shared here,

rob

Re: Hello from another newb

Tue May 02, 2023 8:03 am

Welcome Rob and greetings from the big town on other side of the Puget Sound.

The Doheny is a cool guitar. Just so you know, there are 60 out there with custom art by Cleee Sobiesky with Hula or Elvira paintings. You can see what I am talking about here on my website. But however you go, they certainly have that surf vibe either way.

- Jos

Tue May 02, 2023 1:05 pm

I'm also from Washington state, but from the southern-most part near Vancouver, WA. I play a mish-mash of music, and I do indulge in a surf tune every once in a while when the mood strikes me. The Doheny do have that surf guitar kind of vibe, and that's what makes me curious. I have not had a chance to play one though. I am really impressed with the more recent G&L models; I picked up a Tribute Fallout a couple of year back and it has become one of my favorite guitars to just noodle on.

Like I said, I occasionally venture (pardon the pun) into surf territory. This is an instrumental I made up probably 10 years ago now:

Kit

Tue May 02, 2023 1:54 pm

Nice to hear from other Washingtonians!

That was a great track, thanks for sharing! Loved the melody center and definitely had an aquatic vibe