Hello

Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm

Hi all.

well after many years of guitaristing I have finally picked myself up a G&L Skyhawk HH, I bought it mainly because it looks really cool, my normal everyday driver is a EJ Strat from 2021, not really impressed with the build quality especially as these Strats are supposed to be top quality.
the Skyhawk feels solidly built the fret work is good and PTB thing is revolutionary.
Its a brand new guitar and has a higher action than i'm used to, its a little sticky in the nut but seems to be bedding in ok so i'm not even sure it needs any work.
anyway the EJ is going to be leaving me soon... I Know they're quite dissimilar but I'll be driving the Skyhawk from now on I think.

really happy with it.

Re: Hello

Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, thank you for posting, and congrats on your G&L Skyhawk HH! The PTB is so useful; it's hard then to play a guitar that doesn't have it. I'm a big fan of the three single-coil pickup Skyhawk, so I'd like to hear more about the tones and capabilities of the HH model.

Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:17 pm

Hi 64cousins! :greet:

Welcome and can’t wait to see pics of yer Skyhawk HH. IMHO the Skyhawk HH is a step up from an EJ.

Jump in often and let us know how the Skyhawk grows on you and what kind of music you find it fits you best for. If the set continues to raise its head you could always go back to the shop where ya purchased it and get some work done to yer liking. Any way around it, enjoy yer guitar and play loud and often. :alright:

Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:23 am

Hello 64Cousins!

Welcome to the forum!

Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:49 am

Welcome!

As you are probably aware, the action can be adjusted various way. I generally do at least the following:
- check for bow on the neck (I like it almost straight)
- check neck tilt with respect to the body
- check saddle height for each string
- check string gauge on the guitar and change to my preferred gauge

Usually after these checks and adjustments my guitar will have very playable action.

Kit