New member from SE USA. Question about my Favorite Axe

Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:00 pm

Hey Everyone,

I live in the Southeast U.S., and I'm a proud owner of a ASAT Bluesboy Classic made in Fullerton in 2003. Of all the guitars I've owned, this is my absolute favorite. Recently, I've been trying to dig up a little more information on this guitar, so I'm hoping you all in this forum can help. My biggest question is -- What type of wood is the top? It has a bird's eye look to it. I've searched these forums and haven't seen anything similar. Also, any info on the signatures on the neck?

https://imgur.com/a/gweE3ze

Re: New member from SE USA. Question about my Favorite Axe

Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:53 pm

Hi Jay :greet:

Welcome to the cul…. Club! Sweet Bluesboy ya got there. :thumbup:

Lots of knowledgeable folks here, more so than me, who can help with your body questions. I’m used to seeing alder and swamp ash for Bluesboys, someone may have access to a build log.

Jump in often and remember, You can never have too many ASAT’s!

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:08 am

Welcome to our site! :wave:

The top of the body is a Figured Maple top option (either Flame Maple or Quilted Maple). It does look like birdseye which probably falls under a Quilted Maple. It is a Maple top over Swamp Ash and the finish is Tobacco Sunburst. If you contact Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager) you can ask him to look up the serial number in the factory log to get the full details of build including the full completion date.
His email address is repairs@glguitars.com.

I can see why this would be your favorite axe and bet it sounds as good as it looks! :thumbup:

Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:54 pm

Craig wrote:Welcome to our site! :wave:

The top of the body is a Figured Maple top option (either Flame Maple or Quilted Maple). It does look like birdseye which probably falls under a Quilted Maple. It is a Maple top over Swamp Ash and the finish is Tobacco Sunburst. If you contact Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager) you can ask him to look up the serial number in the factory log to get the full details of build including the full completion date.
His email address is repairs@glguitars.com.

I can see why this would be your favorite axe and bet it sounds as good as it looks! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info, Craig! I've emailed Memo; I'll update the post when I hear back. I'm excited to add mine to the registry with all of the details :D

Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:10 am

Great-looking axe! Congrats, and welcome!

Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm

Just to follow up -- I heard back from Memo @ G&L. Here's what he said regarding my guitar:

"The top is a birds eye maple and it looks like the back is swamp ash. Maple neck with a vintage tint satin finish 1-5/8” nut width 12” or 7.5” radius. Bridge pickup is a MFD and the neck is a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover"

Neck radius on mine is definitely the 7.5". Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and comments!

Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:36 am

I did some searching on our G&L Registry and found another registered guitar [Comanche Semi-Hollow] with a Birdseye Maple top on a Swamp Ash body.
I added "Birdseye Maple cap/Swamp Ash body" on the list of Body Woods in the G&L Registry and updated both entries to this body wood selection.
I also added it to this post: What body woods has G&L used?.