Hello from a fellow G&L fan

Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:36 pm

Hi there, I didn't post here before making my first topic. My mistake! I first got into G&L when wanting to buy my first nice electric guitar to use for making music, and being a fan of Fender guitars from playing them at stores and seeing my favorite bands used them, I was looking for one of those or similar. At some point I found out about G&L: More Fender than Fender, Leo's last gift to musicians, cheaper USA Fender with interesting special features at low used prices etc.
At the time the SC-2 reissue was out. I was a fan of the telecaster sound, or what I perceived of it, so the SC-2 being like a more ergonomic, unique looking, and hotter sounding version was really appealing to me VS something super traditional.
Not long after getting my SC-2 through eBay, I tracked down an SB-2 as my first electric bass.
I happily went quite a few with those as my main electric instruments, but then after I finally released my first album record and I got a house with a bit more space, the G&L collection started to grow, first with the Doheny V12, as I wanted an HH instrument to contrast with the SC-2, and I was again excited about it being somewhat unorthodox and flexible, a great recording tool with many tones on offer. And I always liked that offset shape!
A couple more years passed, then I ran across a sunset coral Comanche with a matching headstock that I just loved the look of, and I could satisfy my curiosity about strat style 5 way pickup selection (really 7)! without getting an instrument that looked too much like a regular old strat, which just bores me for some reason.
This really broke the seal, as it was soon followed by a green ASAT classic s that I got a good deal on new (loved the look and I wanted to try that bridge out, and the body shape, and the maple fretboard, and the different MFD single coils) along with a Turquoise Frost L-2500, my first five string! I was really wanting color and imagined using these vibrant guitars in music videos and promotional photos some day. G&L's Fullerton price hike and increasingly rare hard cases also motivated me to build the collection in a hurry with these two.
I thought I was done for a good while, until an ASAT Special 3 Custom Deluxe appeared online that I just had to try out.
This will be the last guitar until my second album is released!

I've run across this site and forum many times over the years, whenever I'm googling for G&L info. I registered my SC-2 way back and am now adding the rest. I appreciate all the info you all have put together!

Re: Hello from a fellow G&L fan

Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:53 am

Thanks for the write-up, Pat. Good luck with album #2.