A Howdy from Kansas!

Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:58 pm

Hi All,

I'm a new member here, residing in eastern Kansas, and I've just acquired my first G&L guitar, having longed after one for quite some time now!

The guitar I've gotten my hands on is a 1987 ASAT with a blonde swamp ash body, ebony fretboard, and black aluminum crinkle finish pickguard/control plate, and black crinkle finish saddle-lock bridge. (registry # G021871)

The last known purchase point of this guitar was Kansas Guitar Exchange in Topeka, KS.

At some point in its lifetime, a middle pickup (MFD "soapbar") and a 5-way switch were added, making it look to the untrained eye exactly like an S-3. This modification required the body and pickguard to be routed, both of which were done reasonably well.

It's a beautiful guitar and I couldn't be happier about it!

That being said, I do want to revert it back to a stock ASAT configuration, with 2 pickups and a 3-way switch, an endeavor which I have already begun. It's currently at my local guitar tech for the electronics work, as well as a good once-over/setup.

The real drama of this story is in the pickguard. These appear to be as rare as hen's teeth! And as far as I can tell there is only one company on earth who ever made a replacement, Tone-Guard (https://www.tone-guard.com/). I am trying to get one ordered, though communication has been a bit spotty after the holidays here. Hopefully I hear something soon.

I'll be posting a WTB ad as soon as I finish this introduction, hoping that someone here might have an original aluminum crinkle finish pickguard for my ASAT that they are willing to part with.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this guitar or any interesting anecdotes about this era of G&L. Also, I'd be curious to know if there are any other sources for these aluminum crinkle finish pickguards.

Best regards to all and it's great to join the GbL club!

Chris

p.s. If I can figure out how to post images, here's some eye candy...

Re: A Howdy from Kansas!

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:25 pm

Howdy Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

As far as a pickguard goes, I noticed Dave McLaren posting in FB CLF Research group yesterday (12/5/2022) that he had found a black powder coated guard. Looks like it was spoken for but why not contact the factory. Maybe you're lucky.

- Jos

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:29 pm

welcome Chris! sweet guitar.
I have the 2 p'up version, an '89, otherwise same color and specs, except mine has a rosewood board.
I have a son who was made in '89, used to play bass but is now learning gtr, so i gave him the '89 ASAT.
i wish someone had given me a gtr that was made the year i was born ('60), ya know, maybe a tele, or a 'burst LP!

My ASAT had the sweetest tones, a relatively thin C neck, 7.5 radius, yellowing aging blonde finish.
I liked the '80's low flat frets, many others prefer the more modern medium jumbos.

you're right, the metal black pick guard will be a challenge to find, but you never know what will turn up on ebay or reverb.
good luck in the hunt!

Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:30 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:Howdy Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

As far as a pickguard goes, I noticed Dave McLaren posting in FB CLF Research group yesterday (12/5/2022) that he had found a black powder coated guard. Looks like it was spoken for but why not contact the factory. Maybe you're lucky.

- Jos

Welcome to the GbL site!

I agree with Jos to contact the factory. Here is a good contact: Memo Romero (G&L Service Manager). His email address is: repairs@glguitars.com.

Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your warm welcome and suggestions on finding a pickguard. I am following up on all your leads... commented on the CFL Research Facebook page (ain't too proud to beg...) and shot out an email to Memo at G&L.

I must admit, it is fun to have something to hunt for!

Cheers,

Chris

Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:36 pm

Hey Chris, :wave:

Welcome to the club, sweet guitar ya got! Those three pup ASAT’s do have a little magic hidden in there, are you sure you want to switch it back?

Not sure why Tone Guard stopped offering G&L stuff, bought a few things from them years ago. Try what the others said.

Look forward to seeing you round here again, and tell us more about yer ASAT, what style yer into and what brought you down the G&L rabbit hole.

Remember, you can never have too many ASAT’s! :elguitar054:

Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:11 pm

Hi Sam,

So I've posted everywhere I could think, trying to track down a pickguard replacement, and it's funny, a lot of people are wondering why on earth I'd want to change it back! Hahaha...

Well no doubt it's a great guitar as it is, and I even found out that this modification might (could) have been done by Gabe Dellevigne at ESI. He said he did a lot of these mods since the 80's and I will say the workmanship on this mod is very good.

That being said, I've wanted a two pickup "T" style guitar for years and that's what it all comes down to. I play rock & roll and country (among other styles), and having had a Strat for many years, I am ready for the "other side". Three pickups are just unnessary for me and I like the simplicity, utility, and sound of the two pickup config.

I've been lusting after an option order ASAT Special for about a year now, but the financials just don't make sense for me and this particular gutiar here came into my life at an excellent price.

Admittedly, I also enjoy this little "resto" project and trying to track down hard to find parts. Just in the last few days I've learned a lot about G&L, the collector community, and wrinkle finish pickguards. I feel good about returning it to its stock look & function, and if I ever change my mind it will be trivial to go back to a three pickup config.

So, a little update... it sounds like if there are pickguards available, they're gonna come via Tone-Guard or G&L/BBE. I was not successful last week getting in touch with either outfit, but will try again this week.

If I really can't track one down, then I'm going to make one for myself (and maybe a few extras to sell...). I can make the CAD file no problem and getting the shape cut shouldn't be an issue at all. Also, I learned from a trusted source that the original pickguards weren't actually powder coated, but an enamel wrinkle paint. Such paints are available today in spray cans, and I've been told I can get pretty decent results.

So that's where I'm at!

Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:45 am

Leave it as is and buy another one with two pickups... :)