Old Timer from New Mexico with a new Gig

Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:46 am

I've played an ASAT Special since '92; fell for this ax as soon as I picked it up and took the next 10 years of playing in a two-guitar band to start learning it. Decades later I'm backing up the rhythm player/singer who's on an acoustic, so I'm pretty well nekid on this incredibly hot thoroughbred of a guitar. I love (Love!) the saddle, its flange and set screw, and the wide neck for finger picking and playing slide. I play it as hard as anyone (sometimes w/ banjo picks, other times w/ heavier flat picks), but also play lightly as needed. I play a classic Tele style, w/ string bends and slow and low bass riffs, and a lot of slide w/ a bottle neck. My questions are around the MFD pups and the right pedal combo.
Sold my old Princeton decades ago (alas), and bought an excellent solid state Quilter (it does the job). I'm very much focused on my fingers and super careful muting and attention to phrasing, and being very gentle on the strings as I backup these wonderful songs. Have scanned and read all 8 pages of the technical questions and tips (amazing info) to learn as much as I can about the MFD pups as I can. Thing is, I'm not a techie or gear-head, so I need some advice re. optimizing my rig.

I'm trying to emulate Adam Levy (Nora Jones, et.al.) as a backup player. I'm using my old MXR Dynacomp compressor for sustain and peak control. I bought and returned a Vertex MKii for the same purpose, discovering that the MFD pups are a different breed when it comes to effects. All I'm looking for is some clean boost and sustain. I also plan on buying a tremolo pedal, and--possibly--a digital delay for some slap-back.

I'm playing exclusively on the warm and responsive neck pup, having learned that the bridge pup is something of a stiletto that cut through the rock and roll mud of the old band, but--on its own--pretty much slays every living thing within earshot. I'd like to be able to go with it for a solo or two without killing our six devoted fans in the process. I plan on adjusting the poles of both pups to lessen the treble of the bridge and decrease the muddy bottom of the neck.

Specific questions!! Can anyone w/ experience playing an ASAT Special help w/ pedal advice for clean and warm country tones (or point out where it's discussed on this broad forum?). Seems like the typical options for Tele's don't work w/ the MFD pups. I've considered getting an EQ pedal and/or trying a modestly set Tube Screamer. The Dynacomp is "OK," but not really special enough for my Special. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Re: Old Timer from New Mexico with a new Gig

Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:10 pm

Hi Rooster, welcome. I'm a fan of ASAT specials and their MFD p'ups, and have 2 that i use regularly.

The Quilter should give you plenty of eq options. Everybody has their own favorites for OD pedals. You'll get as many opinions as responses.
FWIW, I use a Fulltone OCD (v 1.4), and with the gain at < 12 o'clock the effect is subtle and transparent, still allows the natural tone of the guitar and its p'ups. i like this, simple and subtle. there is an eq knob on the pedal if you want to warm it up. The problem with Fulltones is, I recently read that the owner is shutting the business down, and the prices of these have increased a good bit on the used market.

I sometimes use a Fulltone FD-3 which has a dirt/OD side to the pedal and a clean boost side to the pedal as well, can be used separately or together, has 2 footswitches on the pedal. Very versatile, especially with a small or 1 channel amp where you need options from the pedal.

I have an old Boss Blues Driver BD-2 pedal that never lets me down, is a little darker and more mellow than the Fulltones. Used ones are reasonably priced.
In the Boss department, many players continue to sing the praises of the SD-1 (i do not have one), which is set up like the BD-2 controls wise, but imo the BD-2 is a little more mellow (unless you crank the gain) and simulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp you might use for blues.

I play rock and blues (and some jazz), but not much country. I do love ASAT's and Tele's, and i use the tone control on the gtr to roll off a little treble to avoid extremes in the high frequencies of the bridge pickups. With the neck p'up on the ASAT specials, i usually dime the tone control and i really love the way that p'up sounds.

I visit Albuquerque (also Santa Fe and Taos) from time to time, have some family there. Love NM! Was last out for the balloon festival in Fall 2019, B.C.

regards,

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:47 pm

Thanks, John! Exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! I play some jazz stuff too (not well!), and love everything the Special offers, but it's definitely something of a race car/thoroughbred that I'm always working on corralling. It's making my playing very quiet and controlled, which is also reflected in focusing on more taste, less filling. I'll be checking the used music places for the pedals you mentioned. If you're heading out this way, please drop me a line.
Thanks again,

Allen

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Welcome Rooster!

Adam Levy is a fine, fine guitar player to emulate. IMO, Adam in turn seems to be inspired by Bill Frisell with similar lyricism in his soli. (Hence no surprise Norah used Bill for her live recording of the 20th Anniversary Edition of Come Away With Me). In the end and either way, it all makes for some wonderful listening!!! And I can totally understand your choices to create some sumptuous tone. These MFD Jumbo pups are a well kept public secret, internal inconsistence in aforementioned statement be damned ...

- Jos

Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:20 pm

Wow! I didn't know Bill Frisell played on that album--cool! Yeah, gotta like his taste and pace and everything else: I'm definitely a Frisell fan. So get this: I was just googling "Bill Frisell and...," trying to find Charles Lloyd and the Marvels w/ Bill Frisell (which has some extra tasty pedal steel), and here's what comes up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

It's Bill Frisell, writing and performing the music for a spoken word performance of Hunter S. Thompson's writing about the 1970 Kentucky Derby, starring Tim Robbins, Dr. John Ralph Steadman, among others (just when you think Bill F. couldn't be any cooler, there's something like this).

Re. the guitars and their pups--totally agree: a well kept secret and mystery as to why G&Ls don't get the claim they deserve, but... probably better that way.

Anyway, I appreciate the encouraging words and look forward to learning more from this most discriminating of forums!

Allen

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:01 pm

Nothing fancy here. I have a Digitech CM-2 (think modded Tube Screamer) I like a lot but also still use a Bad Monkey, kinda depends on mood or the amp I'm using.
Perhaps try changing you string type to get more warmth from the bridge.
Good luck. It should be doable imo

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:53 am

Much appreciated. I like "nothing fancy," for sure, relying on fingers and hands as much as I can. I plan on trying out a tube screamer as well.
Best!

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:52 pm

Welcome Rooster!

I don't have anything to offer on your question as I'm more of an S-type guy but glad to have you aboard!

TJ

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Thanks, TJ~

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:58 pm

Hi Rooster and Welcome.
I am in New Mexico also. Have not posted an introduction yet (will do in a separate post) but it's always nice to find another player in the Enchanted Lands.