Hello From Minnesota

Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:30 am

Hi,
I recently retired from the software biz and trying to get back into playing again. I owned a butterscotch ASAT Clasic about twenty yearsa ago. This time, I went for a used S-500 Tribute Series based on what I read online.

The guitar I bought needs a bit of work. I came across this page while I was looking for specs and measurements, I'm a big fan of "Daves World of Fun Stuff" on YouTube and I want to set it up right. As it turns out, the neck needs to be shimmed in order to get the geometry right. I could get it into playable condition by lowering the bridge but with the bridge agusted to spec, the saddles are too low and run out of adjustment. I ordered a one-degree shim from Stew-Mac and it's a bit much so I ordered a half-degree version and I'm expecting it today.

Other than that, the guitar is in very good condition. The neck is straight, has the proper relief and the intonation is dead on.

Okay that was a bit more than in introduction but that's where I'm at. Thanks for the add!

Cheers!

Re: Hello From Minnesota

Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 am

Welcome to our site! :greet:

Please do post some photos of your Tribute S-500 and do add it to our G&L Registry.
See this post for info on posting photos: Welcome! Read This First .

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase forum, G&L Technical Questions & Tips, to make sure you are using the current factory setup settings for the
build year of your guitar: Some setup info posted in the past on the GbL ....

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:30 pm

Welcome!

My 'current' main is a butterscotch Classic. Hard to go wrong with it!

GL with your S-500.

TJ

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:47 pm

Howdy mamerica! :greet:

Welcome to the band of merry G&L lovers, lot of knowledgeable folks here and all the support ya could ask for.

Good luck with the S-500, sounds like just a little work and you’ll be rocking away. Keep us updated on yer progress and tell us about what ya like to play.

Remember: You can never have too many ASAT’s! ;)

Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:13 pm

Welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. Working on a used instrument, even if just a setup, is addictive. Now I look for great deals on guitars I know need some work just to challenge myself. DWOFS was a catalyst for me too.