Hello from Seattle-ish

Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:43 am

I am a really new player, having never touched a guitar until about a year ago after a pandemic impulse buy. My Affinity Telecaster HH actually seems shockingly good for what it cost... $130 on sale I think it was... but since I bought it when I was totally ignorant it was never destined to be my ultimate guitar. I realized I wanted a much more versatile instrument, something Strat-like, including a really good tremolo mechanism. And I think I am sticking with this guitar thing, so I felt OK about upgrading to an intermediate tier instrument.

So, now I have a Comanche Tribute limited edition in charcoal blackburst over burl wood on the way!

There were a lot of options ... I could have gotten a Fender Player, Yamaha, Squier CV... there are many other good Strats. But I also like things that are a little offbeat. The Comanche seemed perfect for me... versatile, designed by Leo, good trem, and kind of unique in look and sound.

I found this forum when I was trying to figure out what was actually different about this "limited edition." The sites I was shopping had a lot of contradictory information. I eventually found this 2021 Tribute limited editions document here, which answered all my questions.

Everyone is selling these limited editions and listing a 12" radius, which is not true per the above document... but the locking tuners are included, cool. For less than $700 all up, and a rare color, it feels like a pretty OK deal.

Re: Hello from Seattle-ish

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:02 am

Welcome and congrats on your Comanche. Really nice guitar. Don't sell your cheap Tele short though. I have other posts on here about my Squier Affinity Tele that I bought used as a throw away guitar. But it was really well made and I liked it a lot. A little fret and setup work later and it played great too. I ended up changing all the electronics myself and now it also sounds great for not much money.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:33 am

The Affinity Tele is pretty good, I don't dislike it at all... I just probably don't need it AND a Comanche. Anything the Tele can do, the Comanche can do well enough. I am sure it can't sound exactly the same, but that's fine, at my stage dialing in an EXACT sound is a luxury; getting close enough is good enough. I'll probably try selling it because I'll likely never use it -- but I won't let it go for a song!

Checks prices... Good grief! My Tele is now $289 new... and that's the SALE price, the list price is $359!!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Aff ... 0343435.gc

The regular price when I got it was $189, and I got it on sale for maybe $139.

It's a "special edition" with a cool color and painted headstock... but still. That's a lot for an Affinity!

Anyway, glad to be a G&L owner soon!

Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:51 am

welcome!
agree with Tooslowhand, keep the tele.
it's worlds away from the comanche, in a good way. you'll appreciate that later.
i saw a pic of the new trib comanches, pretty sweet! tell us more about it once you warm up to it. pics always appreciated, also.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:17 pm

I will definitely return with pics once I get the Comanche!

You're probably right about keeping the Tele. My wife is telling me not to sell it too... I should probably listen.

Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:24 pm

One can never have too many guitars. Might as well start now.