Howdy

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:22 pm

I've owned a bunch of G&Ls, some dating back to the early '80s and some not so old. Over the last couple of years I've acquired several new and recent ones, and this forum has been a big help in determining what I was looking at at what options I wanted. Here's the collection right now, including the Skyhawk I just picked up yesterday:

Re: Howdy

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting this photo. It's nice to see the Skyhawk and the Fallout side-by-side. Not sure if I like the block markers with or without the binding. Does the Skyhawk have an ebony board?

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:40 am

Yup, the Skyhawk has an ebony board; the others are rosewood.

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:18 pm

Howdy oldfrets! :wave:

Welcome and nice gitars ya got there. Being an ASAT fan I like the looks of yours and interested in what pickups are in it.

Tell us what kind of music yer into and do you have a favorite model now versus ones you’ve had in the past?

Jump in often, great bunch of folks. 8-)

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:44 am

The ASAT is from a 2012 run they did with east Indian walnut bodies. I had it in my head that I needed a walnut Tele for some reason, so when this showed up in mint condition I jumped on it. I toyed with a few pickups (not that the originals were bad at all, just trying different sounds) and settled on a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and a JBE humbucker in the neck. It also has an aftermarket pickguard right now; I didn't like how the original tortoise looked with that body.

It's hard to say which is my favorite. I just got the Skyhawk after more than a year of waiting, so naturally it's still in the honeymoon phase... but I've also customized the Fallout perfectly for my needs so those two are probably in joint first place. I also really liked the sound of the G-200 I used to own, but that thing weighed more than my car. I play a bit of everything, though my band Interrupter Jones is focused on original rock music with a bit of a retro influence. That Fallout guitar is all over this track:

phpBB [video]

Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:01 pm

Hey Old Frets welcome and great job on the song. I enjoyed it!

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:28 am

Would you elaborate on the second pickup on the Fallout bass? DIY project? Thanks

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:44 am

Not DIY, but Custom Shop. I got it from a dealer who ordered a couple of 2-pickup Fallout basses. It also has a pine body.