new guy from SE PA

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:05 am

Hi all, Coming to you from SE Pennsylvania.

I have a couple Squires, but I'm new to G&L guitars. Just purchased one on the used market. I'm looking for information on it. Things like what it's made of, neck, fingerboard, pickups, etc. It's an ASAT Classic Tribute series. The serial number starts with 2010 so I suspect it's a 2010 model.

Which forum should I be posting in?

Thanks,

Re: new guy from SE PA

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:16 am

TonyDee wrote:Hi all, Coming to you from SE Pennsylvania.

I have a couple Squires, but I'm new to G&L guitars. Just purchased one on the used market. I'm looking for information on it. Things like what it's made of, neck, fingerboard, pickups, etc. It's an ASAT Classic Tribute series. The serial number starts with 2010 so I suspect it's a 2010 model.

Which forum should I be posting in?

Thanks,

Welcome TonyDee :wave:

Please post a photo and I will be able to provide the details of your Tribute ASAT Classic series.
To post photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Also, check out this post: Welcome! Read This First.

Looking forward to seeing your Tribute ASAT Classic. :searching:

Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:25 am

TonyDee wrote: The serial number starts with 2010 so I suspect it's a 2010 model.

The build year is 2020 and the month is 10 (October), see: Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:07 am

Hi Craig, thanks for the info about the serial number. Here I thought it was a 2010 when it's actually a 2020 model.

Here's a link to photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1yGRSiZRQNeoDFB7

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:44 am

TonyDee wrote:Hi Craig, thanks for the info about the serial number. Here I thought it was a 2010 when it's actually a 2020 model.

This is one of the Musician's Friend/Guitar Center limited editions which they call "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Olympic White".
The model is actually an Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico and here are the specs:

Note that the specs on the MF/GC websites are not quite correct.
Here are the actual specs:

G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico (MF/GC calls them "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Olympic White" , "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Electric Guitar Sonic Blue" ,
and "G&L Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic Ash Body Electric Guitar Gloss Natural")
Finishes
· Olympic White, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard
· Gloss Natural, 3-ply tortoise pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard
· Sonic Blue, 3-ply white pickguard, clear satin neck, maple fingerboard [added in 2017]

Body wood Poplar (Olympic White, Sonic Blue), Swamp Ash (Gloss Natural)
Neck wood Hard Rock Maple
Neck dimensions 1 5⁄8” width at nut, 9” radius
Pickups 2 G&L designed Alnico V single-coils
Controls 3-way pickup selector, volume, tone
Bridge Traditional boxed steel bridge with six brass saddles

Reference post: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

When you register it in our G&L Registry, use this model name: "Tribute ASAT Classic Alnico LE".

Hope this helps.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:50 am

TonyDee wrote:Hi Craig, thanks for the info about the serial number. Here I thought it was a 2010 when it's actually a 2020 model.

Here's a link to photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1yGRSiZRQNeoDFB7

Since this is an https link, you need to use the "nturl=" BBcode, which will open the link into a new tab.
Here is the link coded for our site: photo_album.

Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Thanks again. Still getting used to it. I've been playing a Squire Stratocaster Standard and a Squire Strat. This G&L is a bit different.

Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:04 am

Hey Tony! :wave:

Welcome to the fold and glad to hear yer bonding with the ASAT. Look forward to seeing pictures.

Lots of helpful folks round here and please jump in often with updates on your impressions on the new gitar!

Remember, “You can never have too many ASAT’s!” :evilgrin:

Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 am

Thanks for the welcome Sam.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:14 am

This has become my favorite guitar. It's time to replace strings. Any idea of what strings it would have come with? I measured them as 10-46, but I don't know what brand or flavor. Its serial number indicated it was made Oct 2020.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 am

My 2020 Doheny V-12 came from the factory with D'Addario EXL110 10-46 strings.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 am

I posted the question on a link on G&L web site this morning. Only a couple of hours later they responded:
"Your ASAT comes strung with DiAddario XL nickel wound stings 10-45 gauge,"

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:06 am

If the strings come with colored ball ends they are most likely DiAddarios, although some companies have started copying that practice now.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:16 am

:shocked028: I didn't even think to check for that. Indeed they have colored balls.