Hi there.

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:22 pm

I just purchased a new G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Seafoam Green) on Reverb. They're cheap there from one vendor this week.

I have a kit telecaster with an upgraded Tele pickup scheme that I added the 5-way Bill Lawrence Mod too. It's my favorite player of a rotating 8-10 guitars I own. I don't generally buy guitars without playing them, but I couldn't pass up on this deal. I love the color too. I don't gig anymore. I just love playing guitar in my basement studio.

Of course, after I bought the Tribute, I see lots of posts about that the AS4255C humbucker may be too dark. I've read reviews from trusted YouTubers that say the same thing. I'm wondering if it's split able via a push pull pot? I haven't seen that option discussed. Anyway, I'd hate to judge before I receive it, so those thoughts may be for nothing. I love moding guitars and do my own set-ups on all my instruments.

I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with this guitar. I'm a stat keeper, so any and all information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Peace and love...

Re: Hi there.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:22 am

TaperChuck wrote:I just purchased a new G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Seafoam Green) on Reverb. They're cheap there from one vendor this week.

I have a kit telecaster with an upgraded Tele pickup scheme that I added the 5-way Bill Lawrence Mod too. It's my favorite player of a rotating 8-10 guitars I own. I don't generally buy guitars without playing them, but I couldn't pass up on this deal. I love the color too. I don't gig anymore. I just love playing guitar in my basement studio.

Of course, after I bought the Tribute, I see lots of posts about that the AS4255C humbucker may be too dark. I've read reviews from trusted YouTubers that say the same thing. I'm wondering if it's split able via a push pull pot? I haven't seen that option discussed. Anyway, I'd hate to judge before I receive it, so those thoughts may be for nothing. I love moding guitars and do my own set-ups on all my instruments.

I'd love to hear other peoples experiences with this guitar. I'm a stat keeper, so any and all information provided will be greatly appreciated.

Peace and love...

Does your moniker have anything to do with taping Dead shows?

My experience in general with splitting coils on humbuckers is usually disappointing. YMMV as they say.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:01 am

Hi suave eddie,

Yes, I'm still a taper. I got my start taping the Grateful Dead.

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Welcome Chuck!
Good to have ya around.
:)

Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:57 am

Welcome to the cul... club!

Great to have another member and a Dead fan as well. Oh did I trade tapes for many years, still pull out some favorites. Many have been transferred to disc.

Jump in and share pics.

Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:44 pm

Well, my (new) made in Indonesia 2019 G&L Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy (Seafoam Green) arrived.

A couple of observations...
I don't normally buy guitars without playing them, but the vendor has a good return policy so I took a chance.

It came double boxed and in great shape from Specialty Traders. It's my first purchase from them and I'm pleased.
It's actually close to being in tune out of the box. The set-up makes it playable right away. But, I'll tweak it after I get to play it some more.
It weights 8.3lbs, which makes it heavy as far as my other guitars match up, but not too heavy.
The pickups sound good. I'll need to tweak the pickup heights to get the best blend in the middle position though.
The body color is lighter than I hoped, but I still like it.
It came with .010s, which I'll switch to .009's when I do a proper setup on it.
I think the whole neck is too light in color, and feels unfinished, so I'll apply a couple of coats of WATCO Rejuvenating Oil to the whole neck to darken it a bit. It's my favored neck sealant. After two coats I'll fine polish the front and back with 0000 steel wool. That'll make it perfect for me to play.
No dead spots on the fretboard. The neck feels like it has a larger radius than 9.5", but I'll have to check it with my radius gauges.
Some people complain about the headstock shape, but I think it's cool.

I'm very happy with this guitar so far. I did a quick run through of "Tennessee Jed" right out of the box using the bridge pickup and it has that Tele sound I like. <3

My first time posting a picture. I hope it works...