Hello from a lapsed old-timer!

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi all,
I used to be a regular poster here in the early 2000s. I lost track of this board about 15 years ago, but have remained a G&L loyalist through years of gigging and now playing and recording mostly for fun. Here's the latest of my collection (all in the Registry, of course!):

From right to left:

• A 2000ish G&L Legacy in Belair Green with matching headstock, vintage frets, and the bridge swapped out for a Hot Rails;
  • A 2001ish G&L Legacy 2HB in Baby Blue with matching headstock (IIRC, one of the very first in this model and this color).

These two were my main gigging guitars for many years.

• My latest pickup: a 2018 Fallout in Shell Pink with matching stealth headstock and a new (to me) 9.5" radius Chechen neck, which looks like rosewood but feels like ebony. Love the P90!
  • A mid-2000-era homebrew Carvin neckthrough Firebird-style with hand inlaid purpleheart and yellowheart. Not a G&L, strictly speaking, but has a NOS black crinkle Saddle-Lock bridge acquired, IIRC, from the Buffalo Bros.

And, though I'm not a legitimate bassist, I added this Tribute SB2 to the fold sometime in the early 2010s:

Nice to see the Lunch Reports are still going! Look forward to seeing what's happening in G&L land these days.

-WR
Last edited by WillisR on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Hello from a lapsed old-timer!

Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 pm

The blue/green tones look amazing; I really need something in Bel Air. Welcome back :)

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:20 am

Thanks! I love Belair Green and think it looks nicer in person, especially under stage lights, compared to Surf Green. I’m pleasantly surprised at how nice Shell Pink looks in person too.

Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:42 pm

Hey Willis! :wave:

Welcome back from another old-timer. Those Fallouts keep tempting me, even as a devout ASAT fan those have a certain mojo.

Keep coming round, good stuff happening! :alright:

Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:30 am

Over the years, I’ve gravitated toward a single coil neck pickup for clean sounds (or the split HB on the 2HB) and a bridge humbucker for distortion. The Fallout nicely covers both bases with a pretty simple user interface! I don’t care for the middle (which feels a little lost) or split bridge (maybe this is to appeal to tele players?), but the P90 is a really nice SC flavor. Still trying to decide how I feel about the humbucker—it’s not as over the top as the Hot Rails or JB (and certainly not the Invader) with super high-gain settings. But it sounds a lot better clean and is super rich and sparkly with medium gain, which is new territory for me. I also really like the 9.5” neck and the Chechen fingerboard and the very light body. It’d be great to gig with.

Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:43 am

Very nice collection.

I lost track too of G&L for awhile and am happy to be back in the fold.

Belair Green..no affiliation with the seller at all , but there is a very nice ASAT Special in Belair Green on Reverb right now.