Hello!

Sun May 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello G&L family! I bought an ASAT Tribute Classic from Musiciansfriend.com stupid deal of the day. I’ve been wanting a tele style guitar and also want to learn how to maintain and work on guitars myself.

Good thing that was my mindset because it arrived as if it hadn’t been touched to be set up at all. I had to sand down the nut to get reasonable action and playable intonation. Not to mention saddle height and truss rod adjustment.

Having figured out what and how to do all that myself I’m so glad I have this guitar. Looking forward to playing a different style and making this guitar truly my own.

EDIT: I just completed replacing the controls with a Toneshaper 4-way switch. Quite an education on soldering for a first time! I’m really enjoying the neck+bridge in-series option so far.

Re: Hello!

Mon May 31, 2021 8:10 pm

Hey Cleantone

Welcome! I just joined recently as well and I'm eager to get into the fine details of these guitars. I have a Legacy Tribute SSS style strat

let's see if any of the regulars chime in

Best regards
Nosferatdude

Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:30 pm

Hiya Cleantone! :greet:

That STOTD again, man they rope in many but glad they regularly offer ASAT’s. Let’s say I am a BIG fan of ASAT’s and think everyone should have at least one. Post pics when ya can, and tell us more about yer take on Leo’s pup design. What other than SDOTD brought you to G&L? Was it the rampant tales of how great they sound, the killer deal Tribby from SDOTD, all the pictures in guitar magazines or did hear through the secret underground G&L society? :happy0007:

Jump in often, and Nosferadude is on a roll doing setups, so between the two of I know who to go to for top guitar tech advice!!

Remember, “You can never have too many ASAT’S!”

Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:49 am

I was a bit disappointed with the factory setup, but honestly, what can I expect for $300? Like I said, I intended to do some of these things myself so it is fine. I jumped on the SDOTD because I wanted a tele style guitar and have figured out there are actually guitars not branded Fender that are quite good without having to pay up for the name! I saw lots of reviews and demos of various ASATs determined and wanted one with traditional tele pickups, something I could play for a while and be a platform to modify/upgrade when I want.

Right away I did not like the stock controls. The tone pot had a grinding feel and wasn't very responsive, it very quickly went from clear to muffled without much in between. I put in the 4-way switch with upgraded volume and tone pots and it sounds much better. I had been thinking of new pickups but now it is so much better I won't get into that for a long time. Those stock alnico pickups sound just fine.

The pic in my profile is the 2021 ASAT with the pickguard off from doing the electronic work. Actually I like it that way for now. I'm thinking about making a new pickguard from a license plate just for fun. The sibling guitars in the photo are a 1972 Les Paul Custom and 1997 Strat American Standard. I'm definitely set for guitars. Except I probably need a semi-hollow body of some type ;) . My daughter asked how many guitars I need and I said the answer is just one more than whatever I have.

Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:55 am

Cleantone wrote: I’m really enjoying the neck+bridge in-series option so far.

I've added this feature to every single coil guitar I've ever owned.

Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:34 am

Yes to that. This confirmed that I’m going to add a 10-way switch to my Strat that will give the in-series combinations. Also the treble bleed mod. I like being able to keep all the tone clarity when reducing the gain/volume. The tone knob is still there if I want to soften the top end.

Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:33 am

Cleantone wrote:I’m going to add a 10-way switch to my Strat that will give the in-series combinations.

Look into the Dan Armstrong strat switching setup. It replaces the lever switch with 3 mini toggles, which fit into the slot in the pickguard after some minor work. It adds every possible pickup combination in series or parallel. (11 in all, counting individual pickups.) I 've had it in my G&L Skyhawk since the mid80s.