Greetings from NY

Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 am

I just spent the last couple days learning how to file a new bone nut (with affordable tools) for this G&L I purchased on Ebay. I absolutely love this guitar.

See original pic below:

https://i.imgur.com/vV1sa5d.jpg

It now looks like this after some adjustments:

https://i.imgur.com/lDUlTT9.jpg

Made in Indonesia - 2008 Legacy Tribute (it's in the registry - 080918393)

I have a ton of questions, but I'll leave that for another time. I'm happy to answer any questions too.

Best regards,
Nosferatdude

Re: Greetings from NY

Wed May 26, 2021 11:02 am

Nosferatdude wrote:I just spent the last couple days learning how to file a new bone nut (with affordable tools) for this G&L I purchased on Ebay. I absolutely love this guitar.

See original pic below:

https://i.imgur.com/vV1sa5d.jpg

It now looks like this after some adjustments:

https://i.imgur.com/lDUlTT9.jpg

Made in Indonesia - 2008 Legacy Tribute (it's in the registry - 080918393)

I have a ton of questions, but I'll leave that for another time. I'm happy to answer any questions too.

Best regards,
Nosferatdude

Welcome to our site! :greet:

Here are your photos [I used the nturl= BBcode to post the links], click each link and they will each show in a new tab:

original_pic

after_some_adjustments

Nice transformation! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Here is a good post to help you find some answers to your G&L questions:
Welcome! Read This First

Wed May 26, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks Craig!

I'm so happy to have discovered this forum

and thank you for formatting the pics properly for me

Cheers

best regards,
Nosferatdude

Thu May 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Hey Nosferatdude! :greet:

Sounds yer on a roll, sweet guitar. If you do any more work share with us. (Always want to learn more about DIY guitar handiwork)

Jump in more and join conversations, friendly bunch round here. :thumbup:

Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 am

Thanks for welcoming me to the group!

I've been working on "the Shadow" for about a month now, but with proper tools it could have been much faster.

Something about this guitar drew me to it when I saw the ad on Ebay. I've always been curious about G&Ls ever since I saw one in a guitar shop that all the shop employees coveted. This was many moons ago.

This is the first time I purchased a used guitar on Ebay and probably the last; this guitar has a lot of issues with it, but they can all be fixed and I love fixing quality guitars, bring them back to life. That being said I do love this guitar, very much so, and I will not stop until it's in tip top shape. I only need a few guitars but they must be stage-worthy axes.

Once I received it first step was ordering a new pick guard. Aged tortoiseshell buttercream just didn't work for me lol (see pic in above post). So far it's been fun and a little frustrating getting this guitar up to playability. List below of what I've worked on it so far.

In no particular order:

>leveled frets, crowned, polished (will need a refret later on though, can't decide if I want to do it myself or take it to a pro, either option will cost money/time/tools)

>added bone nut I filed myself (I'm so proud of it)

>changed some plastic washers on tuning machines (these will need to be replaced or completely dismantled and cleaned. I'm not a fan of these particular tuners)

>new trem arm only because it came without a proper arm and socket

>changed springs on trem block, but the springs that came with it were probably OK

>sanded back of neck, feels smoother with less of the stickiness from the coating

>underneath the bridge plate were a few felt O-rings/bushings, I replaced them with rubber O-rings from Home Depot (this I think improved the guitar the most, would love to hear some feedback on these if anyone else didn't care for the felt O-rings)

The biggest challenge after leveling frets is keeping this thing in tune. Sometimes I think it's the tuners, sometimes the bridge (although the rubber bushings seem to help, 2 per side)

I think the bridge plate resting against the interior led to stress fractures near the dual fulcrum bolts. I'll try to get some photos, I forgot this last time I put strings on to document the cracks. Regarding strings I've tried 9.5s, 10s, and 10.5s. The 10s feel the best overall. Using Ernie Ball now cuz they're cheap, will graduate to another brand once this thing is fine tuned. Happy to hear any recommendations :)

I'm about one day away from completing this long, drawn-out set-up. After this I would have to spend money for parts and tools, but I think it'll be a good player once fine tuned.

-Nosferatdude

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 am

Very nice job with the work you did on this guitar. The pickup covers and knobs appear to me to have an aged look to them, and I love that!

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Thanks!

The pick up covers are actually aged looking only above the pickguard, underneath they are white. There is a very distinct contrast, so I don't think it's from smokey clubs, but who smokes in clubs anymore anyways after 2008. Never seen anything like it.

This was purchased used and arrived with a buttercream tortoiseshell pickguard. I've seen other models from around this year (2008) with the ts pickguard, got me thinking this may be a Limited ediition of some kind? Not quite sure, this guitar is mysterious.