Hi from the UK

Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:42 am

Hey,

I've been a long term fan of G&L's guitars and finally got the chance to own one this year. I found the forum from the G&L website.

I got a CLF version of the ASAT Special, and in most respects I totally love the guitar - the neck feels great, the finish is lovely, the pickups sound amazing. However the guitar has crazy fret buzz! I spent ages on it myself, adjusting saddles, truss rod, new strings. Finally I took it to a tech for a set up and it has come back even worse. The fret buzz is so bad the guitar is basically unplayable for me. So I was wondering if anyone had any idea what my fix my issue?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Hi from the UK

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi RFM! :wave:

First welcome and glad you got an ASAT Special (one of my personal favorites) and found the forum. Bummer about the neck issues and I’m not the best tech to offer advice. Not sure if this was a new or used ASAT and how long you’ve had it but warranty was my first thought. Since it’s been to a tech, did they say it was beyond his capabilities or were they satisfied with the work? Maybe go to another tech if warranty is not an option.

Post some pics so we can see what it looks like for general measure, cuz we like to look at G&L’s. Also, be sure to keep us informed on what happens and any other G&L topics yer interested in.

Play loud! :alright:

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:29 am

RFM wrote:Hey,

I've been a long term fan of G&L's guitars and finally got the chance to own one this year. I found the forum from the G&L website.

I got a CLF version of the ASAT Special, and in most respects I totally love the guitar - the neck feels great, the finish is lovely, the pickups sound amazing. However the guitar has crazy fret buzz! I spent ages on it myself, adjusting saddles, truss rod, new strings. Finally I took it to a tech for a set up and it has come back even worse. The fret buzz is so bad the guitar is basically unplayable for me. So I was wondering if anyone had any idea what my fix my issue?

Thanks for your time!

Not to be flippant, but it sounds like you need to find a more competent tech. I can't imagine paying a tech to deal with a specific issue only to receive it in worse condition.

Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:37 am

suave eddie wrote:
Not to be flippant, but it sounds like you need to find a more competent tech. I can't imagine paying a tech to deal with a specific issue only to receive it in worse condition.

Me, too. Unless there's something really wonky with the neck, it's hard to imagine a fret buzz on this guitar that can't be corrected by a competent setup guy.

--Al Evans

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 am

I certainly hope your "tech" didn't charge you for making the problem worse!
There are two possibilities that I can think of:
You have one or more high frets or the neck has a twist...both of which a competent tech would have been able to identify. I'm inclined to think that the neck has developed a twist because that can sometimes be aggravated by tightening the truss rod.
A twisted neck is not easily/cheaply fixed unless you can get it replaced under warranty.
High frets are a simple fix.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 am

Haha, thanks for the replies guys! To be honest, he did charge me, and because his shop is closed for everything except setups during the pandemic in the UK at the moment, I did pay him. I felt bad as his business is likely struggling. He suggested doing a complete refret, for which he'd charge £80, so I decided I might go with a return, then try getting a different G&L ASAT.