Hello From A Longtime Skyhawk Player

Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:30 am

Hello, all! :greet: Informative site!

I bought a used Skyhawk back in the late 80s. I took the neck off back then, but don't remember for sure what dates were in the pocket and on the neck. I think it was either 84 or 85.

I made a few modifications, after which it became my main player. I used it in everything from swing bands to pop/rock, country, square dance and wedding bands.
I retired from playing about 5 years ago, but recently dug it out, cleaned it up and started noodling around at home. That led to my joining this forum and registering the old critter.

The mods I made early on were:
1. I installed a Tremsetter and adjusted it so I can bend one string in a double- or triple-stop without the other sting(s) going flat. The downside to this that there's a "neutral" spot before the vibrato kicks in, but I seldom used the vibrato arm anyway.
2. To make the guitar even more versatile, I replaced the 5-way pickup switch with 3 mini toggles ala the Dan Armstrong "super strat" wiring setup.
3. I installed an original Wilkinson roller nut. Hey...it was the "in thing" to do at the time. :roll:

Re: Hello From A Longtime Skyhawk Player

Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:55 am

Welcome to our site! :greet:

We would love to see photos of your Skyhawk, so please post them and thanks for adding it to our G&L Registry.
For posting photos, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks for the welcome, Craig.

I fully intend to post photos of the old workhorse at some point. Two things need to happen first:
1. I need to get my camera fixed or replaced.
2. I need to clean off more "bar crud" so it looks presentable. (In the process I might pull the neck and get accurate dates.)

BTW: Nice site/forum. I've been spending too much time here looking around and reading posts.

Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Great story. Yes get that guitar cleaned up and restrung. It is good for another 100,000 miles at least.

Welcome and enjoy your Skyhawk!

y2kc

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 am

y2kc wrote:Great story. Yes get that guitar cleaned up and restrung. It is good for another 100,000 miles at least.

Welcome and enjoy your Skyhawk!

y2kc

Thanks.
It's been cleaned up, restrung and played a bit. Trying to get the callouses and muscle memory back.
Also had my favorite old amp serviced/made useable.
Now I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the expense of replacing some of the pitted/flaking metal parts.