Hi, from an absolute beginner

Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:43 am

Greetings from the Evergreen State! I just started playing 7 weeks and love it! Just bought a G&L Tribute ASAT Special in Surf Green. It is a HUGE improvement over the Squier Strat I've been learning on.

Re: Hi, from an absolute beginner

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:30 pm

Welcome, nice choice.
Everyone needs an ASAT.

Cheers from Poulsbo
:)

Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi tylersdad! :greet:

Welcome to the cul... I mean club. Great choice and you will find those BIG MFD’s are magical and not only make you sound better but also pull out riffs you never thought of before. (this statement is based on personal experience and discussions with other ASAT players) :happy0007:

Enjoy yer ASAT and be sure to jump in often and tell us about your impressions of the guitar. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks round here.

You can never have too many ASAT’s!!! :elguitar054:

Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am

Hey there, Tylersdad.

I am a relatively new player also having gotten serious about a life long desire this past April. I came across an ASAT Classic Bluesboy tribute back then. The guitar just felt so natural with such a great neck!
There is something magical or maybe even addictive about G&L instruments. I was overcome with desire when I saw pics of the V12 in clear blue on this forum. Now there is one sitting next to the Bluesboy.

Have a great time learning and enjoy the ride!

Are you taking lessons?

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 am

sam wrote:Hi tylersdad! :greet:

Welcome to the cul... I mean club. Great choice and you will find those BIG MFD’s are magical and not only make you sound better but also pull out riffs you never thought of before. (this statement is based on personal experience and discussions with other ASAT players) :happy0007:

Enjoy yer ASAT and be sure to jump in often and tell us about your impressions of the guitar. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks round here.

You can never have too many ASAT’s!!! :elguitar054:

Thanks! I absolutely love the tone. I'm not exactly pulling off riffs, since my groove right now is Mary Had a Little Lamb...lol. Just kidding. I know the basic chords at this point and can play simple songs. Riffs will come...eventually. Can't wait!!!

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 am

SUaPYG wrote:Hey there, Tylersdad.

I am a relatively new player also having gotten serious about a life long desire this past April. I came across an ASAT Classic Bluesboy tribute back then. The guitar just felt so natural with such a great neck!
There is something magical or maybe even addictive about G&L instruments. I was overcome with desire when I saw pics of the V12 in clear blue on this forum. Now there is one sitting next to the Bluesboy.

Are you taking lessons?

Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean about the neck. It just feels...right...and I can't explain it any better than that.

I am taking lessons online through JustinGuitar.com. It's working out really well so far. The key for me has been practicing as much as my wrist will allow. I'm happy with my progress, but I definitely see a possibility of taking in-person lessons to refine my skills as they develop.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Welcome to the group. Out of curiosity, what model Squier are you comparing your G&L Tribute to? No doubt the G&L would be much nicer than cheaper Squiers such as the Bullet, SE, or Affinity model, but Classic Vibes (and Standards) are much nicer so would make an interesting comparison against a G&L Tribute.

David

p.s., please post a picture of your guitar.

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:19 am

tylersdad wrote:
SUaPYG wrote:Hey there, Tylersdad.

Are you taking lessons?

Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean about the neck. It just feels...right...and I can't explain it any better than that.

I am taking lessons online through JustinGuitar.com. It's working out really well so far. The key for me has been practicing as much as my wrist will allow. I'm happy with my progress, but I definitely see a possibility of taking in-person lessons to refine my skills as they develop.

Excellent! I have been doing the same lessons. Really having a blast and actually learning something at long last. I am currently on Grade 1 Lesson 7. It will probably take me at least a month to move up to grade 2. If you haven't already sign up on the Justin Guitar Community. Great people always willing to lend advice and expertise. Justin's phone app for beginners has really added to my enjoyment level.

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:27 am

dhgleaves wrote:Welcome to the group. Out of curiosity, what model Squier are you comparing your G&L Tribute to? No doubt the G&L would be much nicer than cheaper Squiers such as the Bullet, SE, or Affinity model, but Classic Vibes (and Standards) are much nicer so would make an interesting comparison against a G&L Tribute.

David

p.s., please post a picture of your guitar.

Well, as you suspected, the Squier I had was a guitar specifically made for the rental market. Price listed was $229, but it believe it was actually the $179 model they sell. Might even be the MINI.

I'm not sure how to insert an image. I don't see an Upload button and I don't have these hosted on a file sharing site.

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:32 am

SUaPYG wrote:
Excellent! I have been doing the same lessons. Really having a blast and actually learning something at long last. I am currently on Grade 1 Lesson 7. It will probably take me at least a month to move up to grade 2. If you haven't already sign up on the Justin Guitar Community. Great people always willing to lend advice and expertise. Justin's phone app for beginners has really added to my enjoyment level.

That's funny. Stage 7 on the iPad app is what I completed about 2 weeks ago, but I'm staying there until I can get through all the songs at normal speed. I can actually get through most of them (even Hide Your Love Away), but the dreaded F chord sounds absolutely crap. I keep pressing the G string wrong and mucking up the intonation of that one chord. Sounds like a cat giving birth.

I'm hoping I can lower the action a bit. It actually seems a bit high and I may go down to 9 gauge strings from the 10 that came with it.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:52 am

That's funny. Stage 7 on the iPad app is what I completed about 2 weeks ago, but I'm staying there until I can get through all the songs at normal speed. I can actually get through most of them (even Hide Your Love Away), but the dreaded F chord sounds absolutely crap. I keep pressing the G string wrong and mucking up the intonation of that one chord. Sounds like a cat giving birth.

I'm hoping I can lower the action a bit. It actually seems a bit high and I may go down to 9 gauge strings from the 10 that came with it.[/quote]

The first thing I did was put 9s on my Bluesboy. My fretting touch is still too heavy so I went back to 10s. Much happier now.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:09 pm

SUaPYG wrote:That's funny. Stage 7 on the iPad app is what I completed about 2 weeks ago, but I'm staying there until I can get through all the songs at normal speed. I can actually get through most of them (even Hide Your Love Away), but the dreaded F chord sounds absolutely crap. I keep pressing the G string wrong and mucking up the intonation of that one chord. Sounds like a cat giving birth.

I'm hoping I can lower the action a bit. It actually seems a bit high and I may go down to 9 gauge strings from the 10 that came with it.

The first thing I did was put 9s on my Bluesboy. My fretting touch is still too heavy so I went back to 10s. Much happier now.[/quote]

I've also figured out that I'm not curling my fingers enough. Straight fingers tend to push the strings along the fretboard instead of down onto the fret. And the closer to the fret the better on the G string.