Hi from California

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Hi everyone,

Long-time G&L enthusiast here. My collection includes some USA models and a few Tributes.

The pics include my red Tribute Legacy, which is my favorite among my USA S-500 and Tribute Legacy HSS. The pickups and electronics are stock and fantastic. The bridge came out of a spare USA body I have, and it has a steel sustain block. I added the aftermarket brass saddles. I can't say to what extent the steel block itself changed the tone, but I can tell you that the saddles definitely did, and for the better. Check out that flamey neck, and that's a Tribute model!

The Invader has a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge position and a Fast Track 1 in the neck. One mini toggle switch is wired for series/parallel and the other for phase in/out.

That cream-colored thing laying on the bed is just an empty body coupled with an unfinished neck, both of which are "2nds" I bought recently from the G&L webstore. The body is stupid light at 3.4 lbs. This is my new project build!

Cheers,
Jason

Re: Hi from California

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Hey from OC :D That Tribute flame neck looks almost identical to a Fender Japan Jaguar I have, which I thought at first was photoflame (but is not.) Awesome score for sure. I've wanted to pick up some things from the G&L '2nds' store, but haven't yet; looks like they have a Seafoam Doheny body I missed - Glad you're living that dream for me with the spares/projects!

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Hey Jason66 :greet:

Glad to hear yer G&L’s are all hitting the spot! Love the pup selection on the Invader. Tell us more about yourself and the other G&L’s.

Thanks for reminding me about the G&L store, I needed a neck for a project I’ve put off for a while and picked one off the rack. Jump in often, great folks round here and we love talking G&L! :happy0065:

Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Thanks, guys! Yeah, Sam, I love those particular DiMarzios too. Danley, I'll probably be posting more on the project build. I'll appreciate any input!

I'll tell you something ironic about that flame-neck Tribute. I bought that on Reverb, where it was listed for $450 new. I had it shipped to my local UPS service center. When the UPS lady set the box on the counter, it made a prominent thud. I thought WTH, was that the guitar body hitting the counter top?? So I opened it right there. The outer box was really flimsy, and there was no inner box (and no case or gig bag). The guitar was swimming in the outer box. Just one piece of bubble wrap went once around the body and neck. The body had a sizable dent all the way to the wood, and the neck was slightly misaligned. I was not pleased.

Fast-forward. . . . Reverb's protection program reimbursed me $200 for the damages. I was no longer not pleased.

I realigned the neck with some amateur chiropractic. The refund more than paid for locking tuners, a Graph Tech nut and brass saddles. As for the dent in the body, I extracted the piece of plastic bubble wrap that was stuck in it and brushed on some clear nail polish. Doesn't bother me.

Who ships a guitar like that, with almost no packing?!