Just discovered G&L

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm

Any suggestions on the best amplifiers or any tips and tricks are appreciated. I usually play with Elixirs, but see that it's strung with D'addario.

I've been playing for 22 years and have generally avoided more expensive guitars, as I found they generally didn't outperform mid-range guitars as much as desired (if at all). I own one Fender American Strat that I picked up for a steal on Craigslist by sending low ball prices to sellers. Eventually I had a guy message me a month later and I picked it up for $650. If I recall correctly, MSRP for the guitar was like $1200.

I used to own an expensive Gibson SG, but was generally underwhelmed with it's tone and sold it. I also own an expensive Taylor acoustic which is the biggest waste of money I've ever plopped down. My ~$600 Alverez blows the Taylor out of the water.

Thus, I've generally steered clear of higher end guitars because I tended to find there were some great guitars around the $500 to $600 level. I own a Squier tele with humbuckers, and it's one of the best feeling guitars I've ever owned. I also have a mid-range Epiphone ES 335.

About two weeks ago I was watching videos on the Anderson's YouTube channel. There was a blind single-coil vs humbucker test of a bunch of different guitars on a clean flat EQ. One guitar absolutely blew me away with it's full mid-range and brightness. It looked like a Strat, but I could tell the logo was different so I stopped to figure out who this manufacturer was. I had never heard of G&L before this, and I am not sure how.

I ended up finding the model was a Comanche, started looking at prices and did something I never do: I spent about $1500 (10% off sale luckily) without having played the guitar at all. Probably not a smart move but the reviews were great and I figured it would have a similar feel to my Strat (though the neck circumference is definitely bigger). I was really just in love with it's tone.

I got my guitar with a natural finish yesterday and it is even better than anticipated. I plugged it into Marshall (I'll try it on my solid state fender eventually) and instantly fell in love. This is the first time I've not been somewhat disappointed with a guitar of that price range.

I still love my strat and tele, but they are nowhere near as versatile as this piece of art. I don't know why more musicians don't play these. I feel like I've discovered a hidden gem.

I've been primarily playing clean with the switch at the 2 or 4 position and toggle switch on or off. The tone knobs give me a lot of control over the levels without having to mess with my amp. The neck is a little bigger than I usually play, so I do get a little fatigued if I don't make a conscious effort to stay loose while I play. Otherwise, it's the best guitar I've ever played.

Re: Just discovered G&L

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:57 pm

Welcome,
If you haven't seen this thread, check it out...

Comanche for Dummies Redux