Hello

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:42 pm

Hi all, I'm a 30-something musician from Scotland, play bass in my band and also play a few other instruments (mainly guitar & synth - at the moment I've got more synths than mixer channels...).

I was introduced to G&L in 2003. My first bass, bought a couple of years earlier, was a MIM Fender Jazz - after a couple of years of gigging it was already starting to fall apart (it really wasn't up to much) & I wanted to replace it with something professional. A friend of my dad's had bought an L2000 in the late 80s for a band he'd joined. He said the band lasted for about two weeks then he'd left it in the case ever since. Got a really good deal on it as a result & obviously was in a good state of repair as it had barely been used. Had to replace the battery connection as he'd left a battery in it for 15 years! But other than that, once it was set up it played like I dream and I've used it regularly ever since (despite these days having a decent array of basses, I still keep going back to it).

I found the forum when I was trying to research the origins of my bass (probably like a lot of you). Seems to have been made around 88/ 89 from what I can tell - finish is a kind of dark-amber sunburst and aside the one repair I've made, think it's entirely stock/ typical of the period it was made.

Otherwise, I played a 2nd-hand Asat (with P90s) in a guitar shop once - just couldn't afford to buy it at the time but I've been on a mission to find once ever since as it was an absolute dream to play.

Re: Hello

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi CritiqueOblique :greet:

Welcome and way cool story of how you came about yer L2000. Those will play about anything you can imagine. Post pics when you can, we love seeing fellow G&L‘s in the wild.

Come around often, lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks round here.

Look forward to seeing the ASAT which I’m sure will come soon! :thumbup:

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:47 am

Thanks for the friendly reply Sam!

And yeah, I'll get some pics up soon - will be keen to see what other users make of the instrument as I'm still looking into the background of it and what it is exactly that I'm playing.

Cheers!

Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:07 am

CritiqueOblique wrote:Thanks for the friendly reply Sam!

And yeah, I'll get some pics up soon - will be keen to see what other users make of the instrument as I'm still looking into the background of it and what it is exactly that I'm playing.

Cheers!

Welcome to our site! :wave:

Thanks for adding your L-2000 bass to our G&L Registry. I am looking forward to see photos of this bass,
so that I can see what the body wood is.

You mentioned you played an ASAT with P-90 pickups, was it a Tribute model or US model?
The ASAT and ASAT Special models have the MFD jumbo single coil pickups which look similar to P-90s but are much different.
See: List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:50 pm

Thanks Craig - I think this is a great resource that you've created so more than happy to contribute to it. I've just finished taking photos of the bass so will have them up very soon.

From memory, the ASAT was definitely a US model rather than a Tribute. Funnily enough, after I made that post, I saw the thread you linked about the pickups and realised I'd been wrong - probably why when I've been Googling for ASATs with P90s I wasn't finding anything :lol:

Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:16 am

CritiqueOblique wrote:Thanks Craig - I think this is a great resource that you've created so more than happy to contribute to it. I've just finished taking photos of the bass so will have them up very soon.

From memory, the ASAT was definitely a US model rather than a Tribute. Funnily enough, after I made that post, I saw the thread you linked about the pickups and realised I'd been wrong - probably why when I've been Googling for ASATs with P90s I wasn't finding anything :lol:

The ASAT Bluesboy 90 does have a G&L-made P-90 in the neck position, and a very nice one it is, too. I've got one :D :D

--Al Evans