Hello and dating my 83-97 lefty G&L Legacy guitar

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Hello Everyone!

My name is Anthony, I've been playing since I was 12, and I wanted to say hi! ... and perhaps ask a favor

I was looking to date my G&L Legacy guitar, the serial number starts with a "GO" which places it sometime between 1983 and early 1997. The guy I brought it from, 16 or 17 years ago, best I can recall said he got it brand new in the early to mid 90s but that's as far as I can narrow it down.

I opened it up, removed the pickguard but, the date is "12-5" without a year! :)

I see "OL" then "12-5" ... "CHY" and an "M"

The "OL" could possibly be "06" as in 2006 but that seems highly doubtful given I brought it in 2003 or 2004 and the GO serial number.

Any ideas?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! -Anthony

Here are a few more photos of my guitar and Deluxe G&L molded case, I did the flames and installed Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials, the SRV pickups

Re: Hello and dating my 83-97 lefty G&L Legacy guitar

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Congiano wrote:Hello Everyone!

My name is Anthony, I've been playing since I was 12, and I wanted to say hi! ... and perhaps ask a favor

I was looking to date my G&L Legacy guitar, the serial number starts with a "GO" which places it sometime between 1983 and early 1997. The guy I brought it from, 16 or 17 years ago, best I can recall said he got it brand new in the early to mid 90s but that's as far as I can narrow it down.

I opened it up, removed the pickguard but, the date is "12-5" without a year! :)

I see "OL" then "12-5" ... "CHY" and an "M"

The "OL" could possibly be "06" as in 2006 but that seems highly doubtful given I brought it in 2003 or 2004 and the GO serial number.

Any ideas?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! -Anthony

Here are a few more photos of my guitar and Deluxe G&L molded case, I did the flames and installed Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials, the SRV pickups

Welcome to our site!

The Legacy model first came out in 1992, it could be from 1992-1997. Reference post: Production List of G&L Instruments (USA).
See this post: How do I determine an instrument's age?.
If you don't want to remove the neck to get the body date in the neck pocket and neck date on the neck heel,
you might contact G&L Tech Support and ask them to look up the serial number and ask for the completion date.
Here's the email address to use: repairs@glguitars.com.

Hope this helps.

Re: Hello and dating my 83-97 lefty G&L Legacy guitar

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:48 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHH! Remove the neck! What an idea!

Yup... it's from December 1994!