G&L Invader South Africa

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:04 am

Hi guys,

I am a South African, from the Eastern Cape and a proud owner of a G&L Invader (i think Plus). I bought the guitar about 15 years ago as a youngster and preceded to continue with life with little knowledge of its value. To this day I have no idea what it is worth. It has a Floyd Rose and a beautiful sun burst colour. My mission is to understand more about the instrument and figure out which Invader it really is, where and when it was made.

Cheers,
Waz

Re: G&L Invader South Africa

Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:51 am

macwaz wrote:Hi guys,

I am a South African, from the Eastern Cape and a proud owner of a G&L Invader (i think Plus). I bought the guitar about 15 years ago as a youngster and preceded to continue with life with little knowledge of its value. To this day I have no idea what it is worth. It has a Floyd Rose and a beautiful sun burst colour. My mission is to understand more about the instrument and figure out which Invader it really is, where and when it was made.

Cheers,
Waz

Since we were exchanging private emails on your guitar, I took the liberty to save your photos and will post them below:

Your guitar is an Invader Plus. Here is a copy of the insert page showing the Invader models in the 1996-97 G&L Catalog:

As you told me that there is not serial number on it. The serial number should have been on the back of headstock as a waterslide decal.
Does the neck plate have the G&L logo etched on the neck plate? From the glare on the plate I cannot tell.
If it is blank then this guitar was an early built Invader Plus (1997). Reference post: When and why did G&L switch to a four-bolt neck?.

If you are willing to remove the neck, you should find the build dates of the neck and body. There may also be sticker in the neck pocket
with addition information such as the dealer order number. If the dealer order number is there, please send me a photo of this sticker.
I will then contact G&L to look up that order number to get the factory log information (including serial number).

The body color is either Cherryburst or Tobacco Sunburst on Swamp Ash body. Reference back cover of 1996-97 G&L Catalog:

Hope this helps.

Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 am

Hey Craig,

Thank you for the information. Very good to know. I had no idea that the plus even existed until I started researching today. I will get the someone who knows what they are doing re guitar repairs to pull of the neck to see what we can find. It needs a bit of a clean up as well. The middle stacked humbucker cleaned up a bit. Ill keep you posted on any additional info that I find.

Cheers

Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:11 am

Hi again,

So I had my guitar neck removed from the body, unfortunately I did not find the serial number and these where the only details I could see:

Let me know if any of that makes sense?

Cheers
Warren