Introduction and a question

Tue May 12, 2020 1:41 pm

Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself and ask a question, if I may. My name is John and have been playing guitar since I was 12 ... many, many years ago! :-) I play mostly rock-n-blues stuff and I've been looking to acquire a Telecaster recently. My friend Dennis recommended that I check out the G&L ASAT as an alternative. I've watched many demo videos and have to say I'm blown away and very much interested in acquiring this axe.

I went onto the website and was stunned by how many custom choices are available ... nut size, neck circumference, pickup choices, fret choices, body and neck woods, and much more. I believe I have settled on an ASAT Classic with a mahogany body and MFD pickups. However, I couldn't find any recommendations for a neck type. I believe the choices are maple and a darker wood. (I'm not sure if it's rosewood or mahogany? Something else perhaps?) Anyway, that leads me to my question: What type of neck do most of you prefer? Is one type better with the ASAT Classic as opposed to the other ASAT models? Any direction or suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Re: Introduction and a question

Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm

JAT wrote:Hello, everyone. I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself and ask a question, if I may. My name is John and have been playing guitar since I was 12 ... many, many years ago! :-) I play mostly rock-n-blues stuff and I've been looking to acquire a Telecaster recently. My friend Dennis recommended that I check out the G&L ASAT as an alternative. I've watched many demo videos and have to say I'm blown away and very much interested in acquiring this axe.

I went onto the website and was stunned by how many custom choices are available ... nut size, neck circumference, pickup choices, fret choices, body and neck woods, and much more. I believe I have settled on an ASAT Classic with a mahogany body and MFD pickups. However, I couldn't find any recommendations for a neck type. I believe the choices are maple and a darker wood. (I'm not sure if it's rosewood or mahogany? Something else perhaps?) Anyway, that leads me to my question: What type of neck do most of you prefer? Is one type better with the ASAT Classic as opposed to the other ASAT models? Any direction or suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Welcome to our site! :wave:

Tell us what your favorite neck size(s) of your other guitars are, so that we can make suggestions of G&L necks you might consider.

As you have probably seen, the default neck on the current ASAT Classic is the Modern Classic neck with a 9.5" radius.
I really like this neck which has a 1 11/16" nut width but the string slots are cut for a 1 5/8" spacing.
The neck wood is Hard Rock Maple with either a Maple or a Caribbean Rosewood (aka Chechen) fingerboard.

Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 pm

welcome!
...what Craig says!
I'm a big fan of the modern classic neck with rosewood cap on an ASAT

Wed May 13, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies, folks. I love my Les Paul, but I do find my Strat a bit easier to play, so I think I would want to match its 9.5" radius and 1-5/8" nut size on a new ASAT. With that being said, are we talking about the modern classic neck with rosewood cap? I think someone mentioned that it has a 1-11/16" nut, but is cut for 1-5/8" string spacing?