Hiya, looong-time lurker, can't believe I've not done intro!

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 am

Hi, beedubyuh here. I've been a lurker on GbL for 10-15 years, I think? Maybe longer. I thought I had posted a bit over the years, but maybe not, maybe that was another forum. I know I've bought stuff from the Marketplace. Anyways, here goes.

I started playing at the age of 30 (mid 40's now), taking lessons at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. Having a late start, I set a goal for myself to get in a band and play gigs around the city. Early on I switched my focus from guitar to bass, since the "looking for a..." ads were always looking for bass and drums, seems no one needs another guitar player ; )

I succeeded, playing in a few bands over the years, most notably the Pralines (alt-country) and Daemon Familiar (power pop). Made a lot of great friends and memories along the way. DF is still kicking, but we're easily the oldest among the regulars at the practice space, which amuses us to no end. Also most of the venues we had connections with have gone under (Double Door!), so we rarely gig out these days. We were working on a 3rd album, polishing material, talking about scheduling studio time, but that's all on hold now, possibly forever, who knows?

Almost from the start I played G&L guitars and basses. I have tried out so many others, but always come back to G&L. They are just the best for me. I've built up a nice little collection over the years, most of which I dutifully registered here, so you can check 'em out, if you wish. I'm actually starting to downsize these days, just so much equipment that rarely gets used. Also, my wife and I are planning to move from Chicago to Japan in the next year, so the less stuff to have the better. Of course that plan is also on hold for now as we wait to see what the new world looks like.

This is a great website, a great resource, I am so appreciative of the folks who have contributed to it. Thx!

Re: Hiya, looong-time lurker, can't believe I've not done in

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:11 am

B.

WTH (what the fender) nobody moves from Chicago! This place is perfect. I mean it is snowing today and cold but come on - moving?

Plus they do not play guitar in Japan.

just sayin,

y2kc

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 am

Y,

Chicago is perfect! (Today's weather notwithstanding) I have been here my whole life and am grateful for it. As I've traveled the US and rest of the world, I came to appreciate just how special place it is. I always felt that, if I were to ever leave, it would have to be for a place that is totally different, but equally remarkable (and no snow, had enough of that) ; )

But Japan, man, it's something else. My wife is from Yokohama, which is sorta the Chicago of Japan. It's bigger than Chicago, but is located right next to Tokyo, so it gets lumped in as part of the "greater Tokyo area". So it has that whole 2nd city thing going on. It has a long shoreline reserved for public use. It has the tallest building in the country. It has world class food, craft beer, and a lively music scene. Any of this starting to sound familiar?

I've been able to visit enough to get past the tourist stuff and see the place for what it truly is, warts and all (they have a lot of problems there, just like we do here), and I still love it. I'm not one of those wide-eyed, fetishists. I've really put a lot of thought into it, done the homework. A place that meets my criteria!

But, like I said, everything is up in the air right now, worst case is I have to hang out in Chicago for another year, oh darn.

As for the guitar in Japan thing, I know you're joking, but just in case you're not, let me know and I'll turn you on to some badass mf'ers from the land of the rising sun.

Your friend,

B

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:58 am

Your F100 looks great; reminds me of my black Series 1 , shame you have to part with it but hope it goes to a good home.

Enjoy Japan - A lot of people would immediately direct you to grab some Japanese Fenders while there, but I've owned them and find them only ok ;) So instead I'll tell you to savor the food; ramen and sushi must be amazing. In college I took three quarters of Japanese (already self-taught most of it to myself in high school) - but sadly I forgot a lot. Many of the things I enjoy in life point me to Japan; anime, video games, JDM cars etc. I have a '75 Datsun 280z (Nissan Fairlady) and one of our club members is part Japanese and goes to Japan pretty regularly to photograph the classic JDM scene and bring us parts. As far as music there are really only a few Japanese bands I've latched onto. The Pillows are one that I got into in the early '00s and have had remarkable staying power in my life (think a Japanese version of Weezer/Pixies style '90s pop-rock.)

As for Chicago; in all honesty I think both times I was there all I saw was the airport. Pretty cool to see the Sears Tower from the air though (do people really call it the Willis Tower?) My sister and her family made a trip over the holidays, apparently they were in fact taken aback by the wind - shocker there. CA gets is fair share of wind too (the blazing hot Santa Ana winds that blow the desert into the coast during fall and topple fences/treees with regularity, or cooler on-shore 'breezes' in winter that rip car doors off hinges) so perhaps that's a compliment :mrgreen: Most of the white side of my family is originally from the Wisconsin/Iowa/Illinois area though so I've often wanted to make a trip back and maybe connect with my roots a bit :)

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Thx, it's the first of a few that will be hitting the marketplace, so keep an eye out.

There are some outstanding premium builders in Japan, like Moon, Atelier Z, many others. There are also excellent mid-tier stuff, like Fender, Yamaha, again many others. I think G&L had a Japan manufacturer for a bit, didn't they? Not sure. I, too, have heard that the MIJ Fender stuff was superior to the USA stuff in the 80's. Couldn't say myself, but it seems so many people heard this that the MIJs from that era are about the same $, so not really a bargain anymore.

Old-timers call it the Sears Tower, yungins call it the Willis Tower as does the media since it is it's name after all, I think it is going to change again soon, tho. I'll always just call it the Sears Tower. All are fine. Both of my parents moved to IL from IA. All of our relatives are still up there. In my youth, when other kids went to Disneyland or the Grand Canyon, we went to IA to visit the grandparents, aunts, uncles. I have sat in the back of a car and watched many fields go by with rows and rows of corn and soybeans. It actually wasn't that bad. I still have a soft spot for IA. I've heard that northern IA is quite beautiful, lot's of hills, the glaciers didn't go thru that part, so the land wasn't bull-dozed smooth like the rest of IA and most of IL. Have not made it up there to see tho.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:59 pm

I had lunch at a restaurant right across from the School of Folk Music before we went into our bunkers about a month ago.
Damn good food, incredible potatoes. Awesome view of the school on a weekend with everyone carrying a guitar or two.
Chicago is the best.I have been here 62 years and it is the real deal.WARNING:The six month winters are rough and not suited for the faint of heart.

It is good to hear from someone local.

Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Was it Gather? Or the other place they spun-off? Both are good. I used to live in Lincoln Square, now in Andersonville. Yeah the winters have been grinding me down the past few years, but there are alwyas a few nights where it's not too cold, snow is falling softly, and it's quiet, and you think "damn this is pretty".

Thx for responding to my intro!

Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 am

Yes it was Gather. Good food. Met our son and his fiancé there for lunch. It was about a month ago and the weather was beautiful. What happened?
Japanese builders build some of the nicest guitars. I have often looked at Orville and Yamaha guitars. Once had a Yamaha sg2000, had to sell it to survive.

Once again the ground is covered with new snow.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:40 am

let me break into this conversation-Usually I "lurk" as well but:

1) Chicago is my (long-ago) home town, Skokie to be exact, but for many years after re-locating to SoCal & now Las Vegas 'burbs, my sister lived in Wrigleyville, a stone's throw from the ballpark. LOTS of fun in Chi-town.

JAPAN!!! In 2014 I went to Tokyo to indulge in my LOVE for the Japanese Bass. I own:

A HARRY'S ENGINEERING (Dragonfly) CJ-4 which I discovered, tried out, bought, & had shipped home from Music Key in Shibuya

A PSYCHEDRHYTHM "Psychomaster" Bass

A TUNE TWB Custom HYB-II

A SAGO OVE-4

A SUGI NB-4M SL Ash

A TRUTH T04-004 Tele-Style Bass

So you might say I am absolutely INTO the Japanese approach & "reverence" for small-batch builds.
Each of these instruments is an INCREDIBLE instrument; a work of art, and a joy to play. Plus they BRING IT.

BTW- G&L's are VERY popular in the amazing Bass Shops in Shibuya and Ochanomizu, etc. Small wonder.

I've owned (4) G&L basses - an awesome custom built ASAT, one of the 50 CLF-L2K's, an M2K, and an SB-2
Not one "in stock" in my studio now, but there will be, one fine day there will be. (I'm thinking maybe a Kiloton...)

Anyway, rant over, Hope this stay-at-home etc, ends SOON.

Everyone- STAY WELL.

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:30 pm

It's frickin' snowing here! Gosh darnit!

y2kc, I was always interested in Yamaha, too. Never have touched one, but something about them always caught my eye.

LarryNJ, You've lived some great places, bro! I have an uncle-in-law in Japan who is a HUGE Ventures fan. They played gigs there for decades. He loves Mosrite because of this. Every time I visit he takes out his latest one and bangs around on it. "Mosrite is best!" I love that dude : )

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:58 pm

Ha! I've even had a Mosrite Bass, that I bought from Ed Roman's (former I think)) shop in Las Vegas before I made the move here.

I forget the name of the company that made them (re-creations of Semi Mosely's original designs).
Oh, yeh, it was called a "Ranger" a 1965 repro, made by Fillmore.

Pretty nice construction, made in Japan IIRC. The neck was waay to thin for me, but otherwise, I really dug the look & vibe.

Aaand- like a variety of musicians/artists, ranging from Miles Davis to Taylor Swift, as well as their MANY home-grown performers:
THE VENTURES were (still are) highly regarded in Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOuP1pwM3M