Houston, Tx area

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:00 pm

I was a member of GBL way back in the earlier days....

One of the best guitars I've ever owned was a 1998 G&L Asat Classic.... walked in to the Texas Music Emporium in Houston just to play around.... they had just received several new G&L guitars..... including two fantastic Asat Classics... I played both for at least thirty minutes and walked out with a fantastic 2 tone sunburst over alder. It had a nice chunky V neck that had quite a bit of birdseye in the maple... both the fingerboard and the neck.... just a fantastic sounding, playing and looking guitar... really custom shop worthy.

Sadly that guitar was eventually stolen a few years later... I've missed it ever since along with one of the original 250 Asat Juniors... ugh.. that was a great guitar also... thieves breaking into homes are the worst.

Anyway, I have bought and played a lot of great guitars in the last twenty years.... but hadn't purchased any G&L's over that time.... though I always recommend people to give them a shot.

A little more than a month ago I ran into a fantastic deal on a Fallout Tribute model... bought it without playing it, trusting a store that I've had great luck with in the past..

What a fantastic guitar... easily the best guitar I've ever paid less than 300 bucks for...It is an alder body with the cream guard in Fullerton Red. Great looking guitar.

This got me thinking about another G&L Asat Classic... and I ran into a great used deal on a super clean Asat Classic Bluesboy. Vintage White with a parchment guard. The serial number starts with CLF with the water slide decal, so I'm guessing it is a 2016 model before they switched to the laser etching in February 2017. The guitar is in fantastic shape. It weighs 7.5 pounds... first fret seems to be around .83 to .84. Nice medium C.

Glad to own a couple of great G&L guitars again.... here is to no theft.... and maybe another G&L or two in the future.

Bryan

Re: Houston, Tx area

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Welcome back Bryan,
You know we like pics, when you get a chance.

The Fallout is a cool guitar, now I sorta want one...thanks :mrgreen:

cheers
Last edited by Elwood on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:01 pm

I have 3 US G&Is before I bought a Tribute Fallout a couple of years ago. I found it very close to US quality, and just like all my other G&Ls plays great and sounds excellent.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi Bryan, welcome back!
I don't have a fallout but the cream/fullerton red/alder combination resonates with me.

Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 pm

bford wrote:I was a member of GBL way back in the earlier days....

One of the best guitars I've ever owned was a 1998 G&L Asat Classic.... walked in to the Texas Music Emporium in Houston just to play around.... they had just received several new G&L guitars..... including two fantastic Asat Classics... I played both for at least thirty minutes and walked out with a fantastic 2 tone sunburst over alder. It had a nice chunky V neck that had quite a bit of birdseye in the maple... both the fingerboard and the neck.... just a fantastic sounding, playing and looking guitar... really custom shop worthy.

Sadly that guitar was eventually stolen a few years later... I've missed it ever since along with one of the original 250 Asat Juniors... ugh.. that was a great guitar also... thieves breaking into homes are the worst.

Anyway, I have bought and played a lot of great guitars in the last twenty years.... but hadn't purchased any G&L's over that time.... though I always recommend people to give them a shot.

A little more than a month ago I ran into a fantastic deal on a Fallout Tribute model... bought it without playing it, trusting a store that I've had great luck with in the past..

What a fantastic guitar... easily the best guitar I've ever paid less than 300 bucks for...It is an alder body with the cream guard in Fullerton Red. Great looking guitar.

This got me thinking about another G&L Asat Classic... and I ran into a great used deal on a super clean Asat Classic Bluesboy. Vintage White with a parchment guard. The serial number starts with CLF with the water slide decal, so I'm guessing it is a 2016 model before they switched to the laser etching in February 2017. The guitar is in fantastic shape. It weighs 7.5 pounds... first fret seems to be around .83 to .84. Nice medium C.

Glad to own a couple of great G&L guitars again.... here is to no theft.... and maybe another G&L or two in the future.

Bryan

Welcome back Bryan! :wave:

One note about the body wood on your 2014 Tribute Fallout, it is Mahogany not Alder, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20140702104143/http://glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/fallout/index.asp

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:09 am

Craig wrote:

Bryan

Welcome back Bryan! :wave:

One note about the body wood on your 2014 Tribute Fallout, it is Mahogany not Alder, see: http://web.archive.org/web/20140702104143/http://glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/fallout/index.asp

Good to know on the body wood. The store I bought it from had it listed as alder, so I went with it. The light weight made me figure they were right.... not that mahogany is always heavy, but alder generally creates a fairly light weight guitar. ... but now I have a mahogany body guitar...yea!

The bridge pickup is pretty hot in the fallout. I'm going to bond with it a bit longer, but I could see going with something a bit lower output.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:11 am

drjho7 wrote:Hi Bryan, welcome back!
I don't have a fallout but the cream/fullerton red/alder combination resonates with me.

Yep... that is the look.. a great combination. Yours looks great... I might find some cream pickup covers for mine eventually.

CHeers!

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:52 pm

bford wrote:
Craig wrote:

The bridge pickup is pretty hot in the fallout. I'm going to bond with it a bit longer, but I could see going with something a bit lower output.

Perhaps try lowering the bridge pickup to see if that helps? Mine doesn't seem overly hot, but I did adjust pickup height for both bridge and neck pickups on my Fallout.