Introduction

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:51 pm

Greetings everyone from the southeastern U.S. ! Looking forward to my first bass guitar ownership ( 1981 G&L L-2000E in natural gloss finish ) ; I’m sure I will have a myriad of questions and invite everyone to please chime in with advice . Here are my first two questions : a ) Should I start out with a medium action or lower it a bit ? b) what gauge AND brand of strings is suggested ? Looking forward in my journey to bass bliss .

Re: Introduction

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi,

There are too many variables to answer your question. For instance, do you prefer a lower action, or more of a medium action?

One thing I will say. The bass you have purchased has the 3-bolt, micro-tilt. I have both a bass and some guitars with this way of connecting body to neck. Some people will try & tell you that the 3-bolt is not a good way of doing this, because Fender did a bad job of things back in the past. G&L did it right. Don't let anybody scare you with their uninformed opinions.

If you search the site here you will find a number of discussions about the 3-bolt. Read them.

Later,

edg

Re: Introduction

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 am

Topographic1 wrote:Greetings everyone from the southeastern U.S. ! Looking forward to my first bass guitar ownership ( 1981 G&L L-2000E in natural gloss finish ) ; I’m sure I will have a myriad of questions and invite everyone to please chime in with advice . Here are my first two questions : a ) Should I start out with a medium action or lower it a bit ? b) what gauge AND brand of strings is suggested ? Looking forward in my journey to bass bliss .

Welcome to our site! :wave:

Here are some links you might want to check out:
Welcome! Read This First and look for the link to the Tutorial on posting photos, so you can post photos of your bass.
Album: Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics
What gauge & brand of strings does G&L use on their guitars?

Also, please do add your bass to our G&L Registry.