Good day folks - (potential) new owner checking in!

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm

Believe it or not, I leave in 10 minutes to go pick up a G&L Legacy Tribute from a FB marketplace ad.

I've been a LP guy for years and wanted a change - so I started looking at Fender Strat's.... and I saw some with this weird trem system.... which ended up being the G&L!

Years ago when I started playing I had a strat copy and always wondered why they didn't update the six screw trem system (which I now see they did - but not as nicely as the G&L!). I've always liked the simplicity of the pickguard/pickup system for modding (I'm a tinkerer by nature)..

So - I found this guitar locally and did a bunch of research last night - and here I am!

I'll post some pics when I get home - assuming everything goes well!

Re: Good day folks - (potential) new owner checking in!

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Welcome,
Hope you find a keeper, looking forward to pics.
Elwood

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Ohh so very nice... I'm going to like this guitar. I need to replace the strings tonight (g-string is missing)... Loving the matte neck finish!

Here are pics he had posted... I'll snap some later when I do the string swap.

He added a G&L Logo Backplate, Hipshot Locking Tuners, Brass Nut and Graphtech saddles... Its a 2016 model.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:33 pm

hmm... So I just finished setting it up.... trem wasnt level - so I fixed that..

Bummer though - whoever cut the brass nut - the bottom string slot is too wide - so it buzzes like crazy. Going to have to buy a new nut - probably go back to graphtech.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:40 am

Welcome Escher! That is a fine looking Legacy with some nice upgrades. When I first saw the picture I thought it was transparent blond. That white looks really good and it has some nice upgrades. Looks like a real keeper once you get the nut fixed.

Again welcome and jump in often!

Cheers, Dan

Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks! Yep - definitely starting to bond with it! Coming from the LP world - I never understood the draw of singlecoils...

Then I plugged into my POD HD and that sweet edge-of-breakup tone that I love was right there... much more immediately accessible than it was in my LP's... so - i think I'm getting it.

Question - are the pup's in these noiseless? can't remember if I had a noise gate in my signal chain or not - but it seems really quiet.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:17 am

Glad you like it. Probably not noiseless pickups - but the ‘between’ positions should be noiseless. Enjoy it!

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:44 am

Welcome to our site! :wave:

The original owner would have bought this from either Musican's Friend or Guitar Center.
This Tribute Legacy is a Special Build made for MF/GC and the color is Olympic White and
the pickups are made by the Indonesia Factory (Cor-tek) to G&L's specification. See this post
in our Knowledgebase forum for details: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Please do add your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:14 am

Thanks - I added it yesterday.

Not sure what this means - but its on the back of the neck... maybe one of you folks can decipher a date code?

I was having a heck of a time setting it up to factory specs.. the saddles were bottomed out and I still couldnt get the action set low enough - and it was buzzing like crazy...

So - I pulled the neck and found a sandpaper shim at the back - makes sense... but obviously wasnt enough. I got some precision files out and cleaned up some thick paint ridges at the edge of the pocket and then put several layers of foil tape in...

Pic was taken when I still had a few layers to go and I hadn't cleaned up the edges and smoothed it down... in the end, I probably went a touch too thick, but its still better than it was - and its nice and solid.

Now the saddles are approximately where they should be (#1 and #6 are about 1/8" from bridgeplate). I raised the bridge about 1/2 a turn from factory specs to limit buzz (I'm hyper sensitive to buzz...OCD).. and my strign heights are just a bit more than spec at the 22nd fret (spec = 0.062" = 1.57mm).. I'm at a hair over 2mm. Neck relief is pretty good as well, didn't measure it directly but its somewhere near spec (spec = 0.3mm) and eyeballing it I'd say I'm .3-.5mm...

Regardless - it took a few days and a few sacrificial sets of strings - but now its playing very well and is quite comfotable. My first real strat-type guitar and its been a learning process. Thanks for the resource here at the forum - I'd have been lost without it!