Hello All! New and trying to find out what I just bought.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 am

Hello everyone. I think I just bought a G&L ASAT. That's as far as my knowledge goes since it doesn't say ASAT on the headstock which seems odd. It also has a weird inlay or sticker on the back of the headstock. I'm thinking its a one off custom based on the birdseye neck but I'm not sure. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it. Yes the photos are from guitar center. It's getting delivered today and I'm antsy for answers. lol

Serial Number is CL15720

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ec549nI
Last edited by frutchey on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hello All! New and trying to find out what I just bought

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am

Hi,

Might fine guitar you have there. A few comments.

The sticker on the back of the head stock of the guy with the guitar, I've never seen that before.

The guitar is an ASAT Classic, with MFD pups.

The neck is a custom order birds eye neck. And the finish is the gun oil tint, which I don't think they've used for a while. It is PRETTY.

If you goto http://guitarsbyleo.com you will find the registry. First, register your guitar. Second, you can do a search on the SNs in the database and get an idea as to when your guitar was built. If you want to know for sure, you will have to remove the neck & check the dates there. I think you will find that this guitar is several years old, and assuming that you bought it as new, it's NOS.

Welcome to the family.

edg

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

You have an ASAT Classic. S/N puts the build date around 1999. I'm not aware of a specific model delete logo for that time frame. Model delete logo is a normal "option order" choice - but these decals are black on silver or silver on black. My ASAT Classic S with body match headstock has the black on silver model delete logo. Most G&L of this time frame are built to order, or what is now called "option order" so it is possible the customer requested the model name removed. Some people prefer this. Essentially you picked your options from the standard list, and it would be priced and built to your spec. It clearly has the optional birds eye maple neck, as well as swamp ash with butterscotch blonde options. Two of my guitar were "option order" builds. It has just been in the last few years that they reintroduced set factory specs with Fullerton Standard and Deluxe lines as well as CLF Research line.

Let's know what you think once you get it!

Cheers, Dan

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Thank you Dan and Ed! lots of good info.

I didn't realize that "Delete Logo" was an option. I figured the guy just removed it for some reason or another. I'm excited to get my hands on it. Especially the neck. I've handled a few G&L necks but the guy I talked to at Guitar Center said it reminded him of his 51 tele. I'm also pretty sure it's a 1 piece body based on the images I've seen but will need to look a bit closer to be sure.

Is the gun oil just a tint or is it a different finish type?

And I'll be sure to add her to the registry once I pick her up.

FOUND MORE INFO

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:03 pm

I FOUND THE ANSWER!! After digging deeper into the registry I found a serial number close to mine. It was apparently a limited edition of 10 made for Boston Guitar. I look up their store and the logo is the one on the back of my headstock! I'll be calling them in the morning for hopefully more info. Link to the store below because I think this is so damn cool. Thank you G&L forum for compiling all this info!

http://www.bostonguitar.com

Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Great find frutchey! That S/N places it as being built between mid-1997 and the end of 1998. GTN is indeed just a tint, still with a gloss finish top coat. It is not a neck just rubbed with oil like you might find on an Alembic or something like that. And keep us posted on what you learn from Boston Guitar. Very interesting.

- Jos

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am

See these posts about G&L's neck tinting processes used over the years: Comparison of Neck Finishes and What is TGN?.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:21 am

I did a search on our site and found this post: Little man on headstock. (unfortunately some of the posted photos are no longer viewable)

Hope this helps.

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:26 am

Craig,

Thank you for the info and some more resources! I got it setup and had them remove the neck. I got a few pics and need to register it still but it says 1999 on both the body and neck. I'm waiting to register until I can get more info from Boston Music. I'll be sure to post more images when I get the chance. I wish I would have gotten the tweed case that it apparently originally came with. And hopefully it has the custom pickups. Will have to check with a voltmeter to dee if they're in or out of spec.

Best,
Aaron

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 am

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ec549nI

Here's newest link to a new album I mdae that contains the images of the neck pocket and neck if anyone is interested in the date marks and what not.