New member from Southern California

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Hello

I have been playing guitar badly for a very long time.

For the past month I have been looking for a new guitar in the hope (vain perhaps) that getting a decent guitar will help motivate me to actually dig in and significantly improve my playing skills.

I started my search looking at Fenders (single coil stratocasters mostly). Eventually I ended up, through a serpentine path, looking at G&L guitars (Deluxe Comanche, CLF Espada and CLF Doheny V12).
I loved the smooth, beautiful and somewhat dark sound of the Comanche and the myriad of tone options on the other two guitars.

There are not that many reviews or videos online for the above mentioned guitars. So, I decided to join this forum in hopes of getting some more information on them.

I am honored to join this group

Re: New member from Southern California

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Great to have another SoCal member :) Enjoy your search, those are some good choices.

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks

Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:31 am

Welcome Jmill9126!

There are quite few Comanche fans here. My only Z coil is an ASAT Z-2. I find the Z-coils work particularly well with effect pedals. I've seen several recommendations to upgrade the bridge pickup with the Will Ray version available on the G&L Online Store.

As for the Comanche check out the Comanche for Dummies thread:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1329

Cheers, Dan

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 am

thanks WitSok,

thanks for the reference. I think that the thread is discussing the non-deluxe models that have some harsh high end tones that need to be dialed back.
I'm interested in the newer "Deluxe" model which seems to be smoother and darker (no harsh highs). I'm just afraid it may be a bit too dark and smooth.

Jon M.

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 pm

jmill9126 wrote:thanks WitSok,

thanks for the reference. I think that the thread is discussing the non-deluxe models that have some harsh high end tones that need to be dialed back.
I'm interested in the newer "Deluxe" model which seems to be smoother and darker (no harsh highs). I'm just afraid it may be a bit too dark and smooth.

Jon M.

Welcome to our site! :wave:

I confirmed with one of my G&L contacts that the Option Order Comanche and the Fullerton Deluxe Comanche are: "electronically they are identical". So, the link posted by WitSok applies to both models (and the Tribute Comanche, too).