Dave Zav here

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:04 pm

Hello guitar fans!
I mentioned in another post that I bought a used SC-3 thru a Facebook sale but I didn't post a picture so here it is:

This is the second version of the SC-3, likely from 1984.
I has a square end S-500 pickup in the bridge position that appears to be factory installed.

I've played it thru a Marshall JCM 900 a few times and it COMMANDS!

Re: Dave Zav here

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:14 pm

This SC-3 joins an older sister, my 1980 F.100 series 2

I bought the F.100 used in the summer of 1989 after graduating high school, as my first electric guitar.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Here is another picture of the 1980 F.100 (right) with my 2012 Tribute Legacy (made in Indonesia)

When I bought the F.100 in 1989 it had already been stripped and painted several times.
In 1992 I removed all the paint from the body and finished the bare wood with clear-coat.

Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:26 pm

Wow - Is that stain remaining on half the F100 , or is that just the wood? Almost looks like several species...

The single old-style MFD in the bridge on your SC3 is incredibly odd; have you checked the route?

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:43 am

Danley,
The F.100 body is three (or more?) pieces of poplar wood.
One piece has a slanted color change in the wood grain that is accented by the adjacent pieces (<right to left).
It looks like an attempt was made to match the wood grains even though this body was intended for a solid finish.
Formerly a Candy Apple Red Metallic finish or some other dark red metallic color.
I prefer the way it looks now but it really could use a professional refinish and reassembly (I'm no Luthier).

I've only had the SC-3 a few weeks so I haven't tinkered with it yet but I will inspect it some more and post photos.

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:54 am

Here is another photo of the 1980 F.100 II.
It came with OHSC and keys (lost), trem bar and all hardware (back plate, etc.)

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Wow, I've never seen an SC-3 with an vintage S-500 bridge pickup. That is pretty cool. The F-100 is pretty sweet too!

Welcome Dave.

Cheers,
Dan

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Thank you!

The SC-3 is great guitar and it made the decision to order THIS reissue SC-2 last Sunday very easy

CLF59695 Black Reissue SC-2 with body contours, satin Maple neck with Rosewood fretboard, creme pickup covers and the DF Vibrato System

The only thing missing was the Trem Bar but I have a Tribute bar that fits just fine for now.
This was the used one on GCs website that had been additionally marked down but it appears to be brand new.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:18 am

Dave Zav wrote:...the new SC-2 ... isn't a substitute for an old SC-2.
So, I still need to find one of those!

Done!
This is the black 1981 SC-2 that Dan's Guitars was selling on REVERB.
G001317

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 am

Sweet! She's a beauty! :thumbup:

Cheers, Dan

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am

Black is good on any G&L :D I’d love either SC2 . Which JCM900 are you using - Dual Reverb, Mk iii, SLX? I’ve only recently got ‘into’ Marshalls after purchasing a ‘dreaded’ JCM2000 TSL 602 combo.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Cool guitar, I had one of those a few years ago. Same color
Production of 1st body style SC-2 was summer ‘82 to winter ‘83

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm

drjho7 wrote:Production of 1st body style SC-2 was summer ‘82 to winter ‘83

Thank you. I'm going by what the Reverb listing had as a date but I trust the members of this group to know true history.
I hope to get actual neck and body dates from this SC-2 and the SC-3 eventually.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks WitSok!

Danley wrote:Which JCM900 are you using - Dual Reverb, Mk iii, SLX? I’ve only recently got ‘into’ Marshalls after purchasing a ‘dreaded’ JCM2000 TSL 602 combo.

I'll need to check on it.
I did try to price one on ebay after a few nights using it but found there were many versions of the JCM900 (duh)
and I needed to take note of the exact one I was using before I could get an accurate idea for prices.
I've since forgotten about it and haven't been to that practice space since November.

I'm using a practice space here in CT. that LORD FOWL uses and the JCM900 is one of several amps in the room.
https://smallstone.com/artist/lord-fowl/
https://www.ajproaudio.com/rehearsal-space

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:13 pm

Here is a better photo of my SC-2 and SC-3 pair.
The SC-3 I bought last September and it really turned me on to this style of G&L.
I then found a used SC-2 reissue a month later and thought I was done buying guitars for awhile...
But all I did was OBSESS over SC-2s and had to rush to open a Reverb account when I saw this one last week.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

They look good - btw, you need a hard tail now ;)

Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Danley wrote: - btw, you need a hard tail now ;)

I keep saying that!
I got 6!
6 G&Ls.
All DFVs.