Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Hello all. Just picked up a body and neck of a '90 SC-3, and am looking forward to bringing this poor battered beast back to its former glory, or at least as close as my budget will allow. Unfortunately, the seller only had the wood, and no hardware, and his brother, the original owner, tried to rout the body for a humbucker.

These older pieces seem to be hard to find parts for, but I have the luxury of a full cnc shop where I can get many of the parts I need made.

Anyway, look forward to being able to build this up and share my progress along the way.

Also, as the rules state, pics it it doesn't exist...

SC-3 https://imgur.com/a/fRutoQq

Edit to add: I unfortunately don't have the neck plate, so I don't have the serial of this poor guitar. The neck has a date of May 22 1990 and the body a date of April 03(?) 1990. I really wish I had more info, but I'm sure as I travel down this road of restoration, I'll learn more.

Re: New member

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Wow, great project! I *believe* at least a modern G&L DFV should work. Should not be too difficult to make (or have made) a pick guard and grab some MFDs, then you'll be there :)

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks. I just heard back from the guy who sold me the guitar, and apparently he found the original wiring with the pots and jack (but it doesn't seem to have the pups.) Hopefully he can find a few more original parts, as the only info I can glean from the guitar so far are the date stamps on the neck and in the pocket, and the penciled markings in the pocket, which I haven't yet been able to get sorted.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Hi Ifmacdo, :wave:

Welcome and very cool project. I recall seeing those on fleabay or Reverb, glad to see they wound up with someone on GLDP.

Look forward to seeing progress reports “with picture updates”. :-)

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:47 pm

Sam, probably not this set, as I think anyone on reverb or ebay would have known what they were looking at and I wouldn't have been able to pick it up for the $20 I did. Picture updates will happen, because there's no reason not to, but they may be few and far between, as I travel for work and don't get a lot of time at home.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Even better you got such a great deal.

Understand the travel schedule all too well, will look for pictures when possible.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Welcome Ifmacdo!

Looking forward to see the progress on you project. I believe the SC-3 MFDs were the same spec as the current S-500 MFDs. So you should be able to get the pickups off the G&L webstore. You also might be able to find some used ones on ebay or reverb. I haven't looked though...

Again welcome and jump in often.

Cheers,
Dan