Another hello from the UK!

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Expecting to join the G&L owners club in the coming weeks.

I also wanted to say a thank you to everyone who's posted here. I've been lurking for a while and all the information here has been really helpful.

Will post pics once I have one in my sweaty palms!

Thanks again!

Re: Another hello from the UK!

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:35 pm

PiFive wrote:Expecting to join the G&L owners club in the coming weeks.

I also wanted to say a thank you to everyone who's posted here. I've been lurking for a while and all the information here has been really helpful.

Will post pics once I have one in my sweaty palms!

Thanks again!

Welcome. Do you you have a specific one on they way, or are you still deciding what to get?

David

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:40 am

Sorry for the slow reply, work gets in the way sometimes!! grrrrr

So I'm looking at the ASAT Classic, ASAT Special or the Bluesboy Semi-Hollow. (all Tributes).

There are specs about each of them that appeal.
I'm mid-40s but new'ish to guitars. My father plays accoustic stuff and in his advancing years and tempted me to give have a go.
I've noodled about a Squier Strat (Affinity) that a mate lent me about a year ago(!!) and decided I should get something of my own.

I feel a total cliche saying that I'm into blues mostly, bits of jazz, def not metal or heavy rock.

I'm open to advice from here, also going to the store on Monday to have a play with all 3 and decide there and then hopefully. (The store is a bit of a distance away).

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Welcome, the asat special is my asat of choice for many reasons but especially the pickups which are magical!

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:53 am

Welcome PiFive!

My first G&L was a Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. That was the guitar that got me hooked on G&L and MFD pickups. Let's know what you decide and post some pictures, we love guitar pictures!

Cheers,
Dan

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks so much for the responses. Needless to say I will of course let you know what happens! (incl pics!)

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Tribute ASAT Classic Blueboy Semi-Hollow in Red Burst.

Specs lifted from the G&L site to save anyone looking:
PICKUPS: G&L AS4255C Alnico neck humbucker, MFD™ single coil bridge pickup.
BODY WOOD: semi-hollow Swamp Ash with twin voice chambers and f-hole
NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Brazilian Cherry fingerboard
NECK RADIUS: 9 1/2"
NECK PROFILE: medium C
FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel

I also tried the Carved Top, Special and std Classic (all Tribute). The sound of the carved top just wasn't what I wanted. The Special was close but std Classic was a winner.

Then playing the Bluesboy seemed to be able to do pretty much everything the Classic could and more besides hence that being the one I bought.
None of the ones I tried were bad, it was more choosing one that produced the sound I wanted.
The Bluesboy seems really versatile which appeals given I'm not sure which direction my playing will take me yet.

In terms of finish, the guitar looks very good. No blemishes on the varnish that I could find. Switches, controls etc. all work perfectly although not top of the line in terms of feel.
The finish around the F-hole and the nut could be neater but I'm being really picky.

Overall I'm really happy. It still needs a proper setup but assuming that goes well I really don't see how I could have bought better without spending 3 times as much.

Did I mention it looks great? Seriously, look at that pic!! :luv:

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:13 pm

sweet! nice grab, congrats :clap:

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:50 pm

What a classy look for your choice of g&l

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 am

I also tried the Carved Top, Special and std Classic (all Tribute). The sound of the carved top just wasn't what I wanted. The Special was close but std Classic was a winner.

Then playing the Bluesboy seemed to be able to do pretty much everything the Classic could and more besides hence that being the one I bought.
None of the ones I tried were bad, it was more choosing one that produced the sound I wanted.
The Bluesboy seems really versatile which appeals given I'm not sure which direction my playing will take me yet.

That is what it is all about. The guitar that exudes the tone, soul, and mojo that appeals to you! A bonus when it is a beauty like your's.

Cheers, Dan

Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:13 am

Nice Axe !