Hello from Sunny South Florida

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:40 am

Hello Forum, I am new to G&L guitars and thought I do a short intro and say Hi. I recently retired (yes I'm old...lol) and started making Guitar lamps. And as time went on I slowly came to realize that I liked the interaction with the guitars more than making the lamps. So now I buy and sell guitars and still make a lamp or two when I get an order. I have now made about 30 lamps and have about 20 guitars that are listed for sale or waiting to be listed. I came across this G&L Tribute S500 and had to have it. I am a guitar player but quit playing for 40 years and have since picked it up again. I play every guitar before I list it and if it talks to me I either keep it or raise the price. So far that approach has not worked cause they sell even at too high a price. I have my luthier setup every guitar before I sell them.
So when I saw this S500 (Tribute) I bought it right away. The boost circuit was installed at such a high level that it appeared to me to be factory, I even sent pics to one of the bighest G&L dealers in Jupiter Fl and he had to ask his G&L factory soutces if it was OEM or after market. For a few seconds I thought I had found the Holy Grail of G&L guitars ......The Long Lost S500 tribute with Boost...but it was not to be. So I joined this forum to see what you guys think of it......Does it increase the value and is something to have or a Frankenstein abomination and a mutilated guitar. The install is very high level and I love it .....who does not like more horsepower (volume) especially done at this high a level........Thanks for looking.

Re: Hello from Sunny South Florida

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:09 am

Welcome to our site! :wave:

By now, you probably figured out that DropBox server is not a good photo hosting service. :lol:
For alternatives see this post: Tutorial: Posting photos.

Here are some of your photos which you had sent me. I resized them and saved in my GbL Gallery.

The boost circuit, locking tuners, and control knobs are all upgrades done by a previous owner.
I wonder if there are any additional changes to the control circuit, like upgraded pots?
Your guitar is a Made in Korea Tribute Series S-500 built in May 2003. It has the Amber finish on Swamp Ash body.
See: What is the new Tribute series which G&L announced in 2003?
I would say that the updates should add some additional value (no idea how much) to this guitar.

Hope this helps.