More greetings from the California coast

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:57 am

Greetings to you all. I have been spending a lot of time in the last couple months researching here and really appreciate all the information you have amassed here!

I have only been playing about 7yrs, and am a hobby level player. I also enjoy maintaining and repairing my gear. I have built and upgraded a kit guitar and a partscaster, and have fixed up a Marshall JCM2000 dsl100, along with maintaining the guitars I have. Currently am spending most of my time playing through a 68 custom Princeton reverb.

Amongst the several guitars I am blessed to have are a USA strat and both a USA Ernie Ball Music Man jp6 bfr and a Sterling Music Man silo 3 sub. The other day I bought my new G&L ASAT Special Tribute. I am amazed that the fit and finish on this are absolutely at the level of my USA Strat! And very happy to see some similarities to my Music Man.

So far the asat special is a lot of fun, and a great match to the Princeton. I want to thank you all in this forum for helping me decide to go with the asat special tribute, and am quite sure this will not be the last G&L I buy!

https://imgur.com/a/WH72bNa

Re: More greetings from the California coast

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 am

I apologize that the link is somehow connected to not only a picture of my asat special, but also to a random run of memes. I set that imgur up just to be able to post the photo and apparently did something wrong

Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:24 am

Welcome Bcmcmoose!

The ASAT Special is special indeed. I love that Irish Ale finish. I have been occasionally watching for a ridiculous deal on ASAT Special in that finish for a project. I'd love to try an F-100 MFD humbucker in the neck position on one of these (sort of Blues Boy version of an ASAT Special, but all MFD).

Cheers,
Dan

Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 am

Thank you Dan,
That is a great idea about the humbucker in the neck!

I too like the Irish ale finish, but what really guided my choice on the finish was the mahogany body. I am fond of that wood, had a USA sg at one point that was hog, and my bfr is hog body and neck. With the saddle lock bridge the sustain of the ASAT special seems to go on forever, the vibrations while playing are so clearly felt through the neck and entire instrument.

Not very scientific, but going into the 68 custom Princeton without any pedals, I strummed a chord and timed it. After one minute 5 seconds it was still audible. Just a great sounding guitar, and definitely has me already Gassing for more G&L!

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:24 pm

howdy, that's a really nice looking asat special. i really like the large coil mfd in the neck position on that guitar.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Thank you! I am really liking both the jumbo mfd pickups on this guitar through the 68 cpr. The shop I got it in has a USA ASAT Classic bluesboy p90. Classic mfd in the ashtray bridge, mfd p90 in the neck. I am actually hesitant to try it, as I worry it will cause me to want to trade this and my American strat to get it!