Greetings from Kansas

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:13 am

Hello!

My name is Tyler Atkinson. I live in central Kansas, where I teach at a small liberal arts college. Aside from teaching, music is my greatest passion. About a year ago, I traded a mandolin for a used G&L Comanche (98/99, I think). As I normally play acoustic music, it's taken a while to bond with the Comanche. That's compounded by the fact that I currently do not own an amp! (I sold an old amp to help purchase a new dreadnought, which I needed for gigs). At present, I'm leaning toward purchasing a used Vox AC10C1, as I want something that will sound great at home but could also be used for smaller gigs should I join a band. Does anyone have experience with the custom series and Comanches? I've done a good bit of reading here and elsewhere (and I'd have to travel pretty far to find a decent selection of used amps), so I think I'm going in a decent direction. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Best,

Tyler

Re: Greetings from Kansas

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 am

And here's an attempt to post an image of the Comanche!

Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:42 am

Awesome. Matching headstocks make things perfect. As for an amp, I'd have a tough time talking myself out of going ampless with a MacBook/Helix etc. unless you're sure you just want that pure Vox tone.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:27 pm

welcome, Tyler.
nice looking comanche!
it'll sound good through whatever you play it.
vox ac10 or 15 should be great.
aside from being an exceptionally well made guitar, the pickups are intriguing in that they have relatively high output, while being extraordinarily quiet re: hum usually associated with single coil pickups.
make sure the p'ups are not too close to the strings, that makes it sound too edgy.
don't be afraid to roll off some of the treble and bass with the tone controls, enhances the tone of the p'ups and makes it more transparent.
check out the neck and bridge p'up combination using the expander switch up with the p'up selector in position 1 or 5. love it.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks for the welcome, folks!

I went ahead and ordered the AC10, as I do want the Vox tone. I appreciate your advice, John. I'm excited to experiment with the Comanche's many sounds!

Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi Tyler :wave:

Welcome and congrats on yer new Comanche from another Z Coil fan as well. (Will Ray and Z3) Your's is a beauty for sure.

A Will Ray bridge pup could add some additional power for fun :evilgrin:

Looking forward to hearing more from you about this guitar.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 am

Many thanks, Sam!

I've been thinking of picking up a Will Ray bridge pickup. I'll let you know if I do!